Wouldn't an inside thermometer be deceiving?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jgaepi, Nov 30, 2011.

1. jgaepi

jgaepi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    davis, ca
    Can a thermometer inside a house kept at 69 really be accurate? It is an open environment. No lid, big rubbermaid bin, heat lamp in one corner etc. I get my first chicks next week. Wouldn't the huddle method be better?

2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Chicks have to be kept at 95 degrees for the first wk. 90 for the second 85 the third and 80 the forth by then they will be feathered out and should be ok outside unless you have real cold weather. I have 5 wk olds in the outside brooder and since it got cold they have a light at night and this is florida. What do you mean by the huddle method ??

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Week 1 85 degrees with a thermometer in the breeder box
    Week 2 80*
    Week 3 75* and continue to drop by 5* until the 7th week.

At week 5 let them play outside for the entire day to start acclimating them to colder temps to force the down feathers to come in heavy. Bring them in every night. At week 8 they are off heat, period. You will do them harm by not turning the heat off and let mother nature to take over and by week 8 they start there lives outside permanently. Good luck.

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Im not sure what you mean?? you should keep a thermometer in the brooder box. And drop the temp by 5 * every week. I wouldn't take on the huddling method, as they could catch a chill by the time you notice that there cold. You should use a heatlamp, and then if they huddle put the light alittle closer and if they try to get away from the light raise it abit til they all look compfy. [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think the OP is referring to watching the chicks' behaviors rather than relying on a thermometer: If they're huddling together under the lamp, too cold.
    If that's the case, that method is fine. Ideally, they'll kind of spread out around the outer perimeter of the lamp's rays when they're sleeping. But they're all individuals...lol. I had one scrawny little chick that liked it directly under the lamp, while another little girl would sleep away from the lamp. The rest followed "typical" chick behavior. That's why it's good not to try to "heat" the brooder, but to make sure there is a nice area of heat they can go to as needed or not.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  6. jgaepi

jgaepi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    davis, ca
    How would I achieve the temp difference? Move the lamp up a few inches every week? How far from the bottom of the brooder should I start to achieve 95 degrees?

7. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    I know I will get grieve for this but mine were in a dog crate in our bathroom with only the bathroom light on. Now it was summer time when i got mine so it was really warm in the bathroom. So I didnt use a heat lamp. They were about 4 weeks old before I took them outside in a little run and I sat out there with them all day. (Of course I have nothing better to do most of the time as Im a stay at home mom of a 3 year old [​IMG] So.) Brought them in before it got dark. By the time they had feathered out I but them in the brooder coop outside they lived in that until the got their adult feathers and than the moved to the big girl coop [​IMG] Where they now reside happily. [​IMG] I guess everyone has their own methods and like I said before this was during the summer months [​IMG]

8. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Quote:This you have to experiment before you get the chicks. PPut the lamp on and put a thermometer in the brooder at chick height (about 2 - 3 inches from the bottom) in the circle of light. After a couple of hours check how warm it is. If it is too warm - pull up the lamp higher (=farther away from the thermometer), or change to a lower wattage bulb. Rinse and Repeat until you have the right temp.

Then get the chicks. They will tell you also very quickly if they're too cold or too warm. Adjust the light accordingly. Make sure the chicks have an area that is not covered by the lamp so that they can go out from under the light if they want to.

As to which temps to go by? My chicks were clearly too warm at 95 degrees when I got them. I lowered the temp quickly to about 88 and went about 10 degrees down from there each week until I shut the lamp off all together when they were about 5 weeks old and they had most of their feathers.

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Quote:A thermometer will read the temperature of its immediate surroundings. If you place a light on the chicks and that light provides warmrth, then the 'local' temperature will be higher than 69. The heat will dissipate into the rest of the house, but as long as the light stays on it will continue to provide heat. Those peepers need warmth for a little while, so they should have it available. For kicks, take a 'dry run' with your brooder to see how temps can be adjusted.

10. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I don't use a thermometor when I get my peeps.I have a large plastic tub that I put them in.I put large flake pine shavings on the bottom and then I set their food and water on a 4x4 to help keep them clean from shavings.Some people put newspaper on the shavings so that they don't eat the shavings.I place my light on the end of the tub and place it where the heat is getting to them.I then watch there behavior as to rather I need to adjust the light up or down.If they stay gathered togeather under the light it is to cold.If they stay away from it each other all the time and the light then it's to hot.If they move in and out of the light and are playing and such Then I feel that this is comfortable for them.This is the way I do it.I do however keep them inside during this and I get spring peeps so that I have the summer to watch them grow.[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by