1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wound at base of tail* Updated with pic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CowgirlPenny, Mar 20, 2011.

1. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    How do I treat this? I noticed today that one of my Australorps has a wound at the base of her tail. Looks like some of the others have been pecking her.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Better show a pic if possible. Could be several things.........Pop

3. CowgirlPenny

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    updated with picture. As you can see, its almost like the feathers are being ripped out. Poor girl. Nobody else has any wounds or anything. Feathers are in the brooder, so I'm sure they are coming out somehow. This would have happened in the last 2-3 days. She's not a social chick and never comes up to me so sometimes I miss her but they have only been out three days and prior to that I would have noticed.

*also, I have her left wing pulled up, she does have a full feathered wing, what you see is her fuzz left under the wing.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  4. Lollipop

Penny, that kinda thing is common. The new feathers contain blood (aka blood feathers) and you can see it in them. When they are pulled, they look like a wound, but from what I see in the pic, it`s just pulled feathers and it does leave a little blood, which leads to more feather picking. A simple way to discourage this is with Noxema Face Cream, or a cheap Walmart generic. Just slather it on wherever they`re pulling feathers. They hate the taste. Repeat as needed. Good luck. It looks like you caught it in time..........Pop

5. CowgirlPenny

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    So, the Noxema won't burn her where the feather's have been yanked out? I will have my husband pick some up tonight then. I feel so bad for her. She's the biggest one too, yet they have singled her out for some reason.

6. Lollipop

Happens all the time. Ain`t chickens fun???..........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by