Wound Care?

Jessica1228

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
Michigan
Svedka is spending her 1st birthday in a dog crate. A raccoon grabbed her last night around 1 a.m. she has no feathers on her body, her head feathers look good ,and she has a few tail feathers left. She is drinking but not eating at the moment. She seems physically fine (nothing broken as far as I can tell) but not too perky at the moment.

The problem is that she has a dime-sized puncture in her hip-ish area and doesn’t want to stand on that leg. It’s that lovely chicken skin rip/ tare type and I’m not really sure what to do about it. I’ve been told that you never put an oil-based product on a bird. This would rule out an anti-biotic cream but, I was told to put said cream on an undercooked hatchling. So what’s the real deal? Should I put something on it? It that even safe? Leave it alone? I’ve seen wounds way way worse that turned out fine but I still feel like we should take some sort to wound care measures.

I don't know what you can get where you are, but at a minimum Iodine the wound and surrounding area and get her on some broad spectrum antibiotics and don't let her go off her food, force feed her if neccessary, a healing hen needs plenty of food.

You could flush it out with diluted Betadine (povidone-iodine) solution. You can use Neosporin Antibotic (without pain relief) on wounds, however you should not block up a puncture wound as it needs to breathe and heal from the inside out. Also this time of year you need to protect the wound from flies.

Thanks for all the info. The post by three horses really helped. I definitely printed that off for reference. I’m still slightly conflicted about the Neosporin. I’ve had many Vets tell me NEVER put an oil-based product on a bird but, if it’s the tried and true I’m all over it!

I originally washed it out with water and locked her up in the shower for the night. In the morning I went with the diluted peroxide, diluted iodine, and Neosporin (w/o pain relief). It’s on her hip but still covered by the few wing feathers she has so I left it open/ uncovered. The actual hole looks slightly larger now (quarter to 50 cent piece sized) but, the swelling has gone down and it’s started to dry out. Not sure if that’s a normal size difference but we’ve always seen some in the days fallowing. She is drinking like no other and I just now started pushing food. The switch from grit to strawberries, lettuce, and bread may have perked up her appetite. Again, thanks for leading me to the great post.

Back
Top Bottom