wound from other hens pecking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvthechix, Dec 8, 2010.

1. luvthechix

luvthechix New Egg

Dec 8, 2010
    Hello all--

This is my first time posting here...I have five hens that free range during the day and go into the coop at night. They are about 6 months old and have been laying for about one month. These are the first chickens I've ever had, so I'm new to all this!!
    This morning, one of the hens has a quarter sized wound in the middle of her lower back. All the feathers are gone from this area and it is bleeding a little bit. Not sure how the wound started, but I'm assuming the other hens pecked at her last night...During the day, when the girls are out where I can see them, they all seem to get along, I have not seen any fighting. She is separated from the others for now, but I have a few questions as to what to do now...
    1- How should I clean/treat the wound?
    2- When can I put her back with the others? When the wound is totally healed? When all the feathers have grown back?
    3- How long will it take for all the feathers to grow back?
    4- Any suggestions for preventing this in the future?

Any advice is welcome!!

Thanks so much!

2. i<3chickens

i<3chickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Ontario---Canada
    1- Spray some blue-kote on or bandage it some how or both.
    2-I would say when the wound is healed.
    3-I'm not sure how long it would take.
    4-???I have no clue

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Yes, chickens will do that. At times, some of my hens will have a 2 inch square in their back from pecking or the hen pecking at herself. It's pretty normal, chickens are peckers.

4. danib

danib Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    Massachusetts
    bag balm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by