Wound in mouth?

Silkiechicken66

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2016
My serama got in another dispute somehow, even with the bottom foot and a half of the run covered. The inside of his mouth is torn up and he can’t close it. What’s safe to clean the inside? I plan on taking him to the vet Monday but till then what can I do.

Edit: So I think less that it’s a chicken and more of something else. We discovered in the run a chick that had been in there was beheaded and gutted. Whatever did it tried getting other birds too. Our polish have scattered feathers everywhere and the roosters feathers are scattered too. They were in a completely enclosed run and it had to have happened in the middle of the day while we were gone, as everyone was fine and happy this morning. No one else is injured except him, and the dead chick.

Last edited:
Can you post any pictures? Is the beak cracked or chipped? Is there bleeding or swelling of tissue or the tongue? Water or saline would be okay to clean the beak. Vetericyn would be okay as well. I really have no experience with this or with seramas, so hopefully others will offer help.

Can you post any pictures? Is the beak cracked or chipped? Is there bleeding or swelling of tissue or the tongue? Water or saline would be okay to clean the beak. Vetericyn would be okay as well. I really have no experience with this or with seramas, so hopefully others will offer help.
He ate and is sleeping right now so once he’s up again I’ll take some photos, I really don’t want to disturb him he’s very drained.
The beak isn’t chipped. It’s slightly swollen on the edges of the mouth, there’s dried blood on his tongue that I wiped off, I think from the other part of his mouth as it’s not damaged. He’s eating and drinking and being somewhat his spunky self trying to dance at the chicks as usual.

I’ve got some Vetericyn so I’ll use that.

I worry a bit about his airway staying open with swelling, but it sounds like he may recover. Let us have an update tomorrow. I hope he gets better. Roosters certainly will fight.

I worry a bit about his airway staying open with swelling, but it sounds like he may recover. Let us have an update tomorrow. I hope he gets better. Roosters certainly will fight.
That’s my worry too, I’m keeping a very close eye on it. Will definitely take photos and update tomorrow. Thanks!

99D8872E-8179-4292-90F5-58F545D8DC8F.jpeg
DE75FA1E-BD42-412E-A304-BDE98D1C7A9E.jpeg

He constantly licks the inside of the mouth, and I’ve started syringing some nutridrench water in to give it moisture and help hydrate some. Doing that about every hour. I’m having to hold his head up so it goes down, doing tiny drops at a time to help lower risk of asphyxiation

I really am not an authority on these types of issues, but you might want to learn how to tube feed him. That would allow his wounds to heal while supplying water and food. A simple length of aquarium air tubing from the fish aisle at your local Walmart or pet store would function as a feeding or crop tube, when connected to a 35 ml regular tipped syringe. The sharp cut end of the tube should be slightly melted with a lighter. There are also regular feeding tubes available that can be used with catheter-tipped syringes. Here are some links to read about tubing, foods, and amounts:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...res-under-construction.1064392/#post-17271576

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-go-team-tube-feeding.805728/

Back
Top Bottom