Wound Kote-is it okay for chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rhodies Rock, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Rhodies Rock

Rhodies Rock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    My Rhode Island Red hen's feathers are missing, in a small spot between her wingtip and her thigh, and there is skin and an even smaller spot where there is no skin. She is not really bleeding, but the skin is missing. I have Wound-Kote for horses, it is the blue lotion for wound dressing. The bottle says never apply to any cat, but is for horses, cattle, and dogs. Nowhere does it mention poultry. Does anyone know if Wound-Kote is okay for chickens, or if there is something that I could use from home? We are too busy to run to the Feed Store.
    Thanks.

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I use it on them and myself all the time! It says no cats because they lick themselves.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  3. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

MANY (over 37) years ago our Siamese cat had a scratch that a screwworm got in. When my husband took Romeo to the vet they used a blue spray on it. When he licked it, he began to foam at the mouth [​IMG] , but it worked and the wound healed. I had forgotten about that til I read this thread!

4. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    If Im not mistaken is says NOT to use on animals to be eaten.. [​IMG] But thats up to you...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by