Wound! Not sure what to make of it. PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by The Scarlet Hen, Mar 27, 2015.

1. The Scarlet Hen

The Scarlet Hen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2014
    Hello all,

Recently we noticed one of our girls had a wound. We cleaned her up some and put some Green Goo on it. She is now in a separate area away from the other girls and our roo so she may heal in peace.

Something about this wound just isn't right to me. I am a Vet Tec and have seen many wounds on all kinds of animals and this one just looks bad. Its better then it was when we first noticed it but I feel like it should be a little better then it is by now. I do have some live stock wound spray coming that should be in today, that I am hoping will help more.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Will attach pictures shortly!

2. The Scarlet Hen

Dec 18, 2014
    Having trouble figuring out how to add pictures

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    After the pic is loaded on your computer, use the icon in the reply box that looks sort of like a pic, two to the left of the smiley face, to pload it to your reply. Just click upload then se;ect the pic -- on mine, I click "open" at this point.

4. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    When you are posting. The icon that looks like a mountain with a sun. Then upload a photo.

5. The Scarlet Hen

Dec 18, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. The Scarlet Hen

Dec 18, 2014
    Thank you, pics posted

7. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Welcome! Looks like a spur wound. I've seen several of these. I usually put some nustock on it, (available at your local farm store), separate her so that the other birds don't bother her, and than trim my roosters spurs so it doesn't happen again. Hope she heals soon!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

I'm sorry to hear about your injured hen! The wound doesn't look too bad to me. Just make sure that it doesn't get infected and keep her isolated from the other birds, and she should be fine. Chickens have a remarkable ability to heal themselves.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x2

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you had a hen apron this would be a good time to use one to keep her wound out of sight. Please make sure no flies get to her, maggots can make even minor wounds progress into something much, much worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by