Wound on 6wk old chicks neck

Mamadar

Songster
6 Years
Mar 17, 2017
Pittsburgh PA
Think a hen got to her. No skin very little bleeding. I cleaned with filtered water.
Gave electrolytes in water is eating.
I only have neosporin here now. I have her set up alone away from the other chicks.
20200603_135042.jpg

I am worried sick. Should I do more? What should I put on wound.
Other than stop this from happening again. I have 1 four yrs old spoiled hen. Who does not yet seemed to care for chicks. They have been separated.

Just keep the wound clean and apply your triple antibiotic ointment.
Is she eating/drinking o.k. and alert?

It does look like a hen got her.

How much space do you have, total # of birds?

If possible, place her in a cage/kennel inside the run or coop near the others - complete "separation" can be stressful and can make re-introduction harder.

It's not uncommon for the adults to not like newbies even if they have been looking at them through wire for weeks. When you re-introduce, make sure they all have plenty of space and some obstacles - sometimes out of sight out of mind. Sometimes doesn't work - a lot depends on the the flock and set-up.

If possible, place her in a cage/kennel inside the run or coop near the others - complete "separation" can be stressful and can make re-introduction harder.

It's not uncommon for the adults to not like newbies even if they have been looking at them through wire for weeks. When you re-introduce, make sure they all have plenty of space and some obstacles - sometimes out of sight out of mind. Sometimes doesn't work - a lot depends on the the flock and set-up.

Thank you for your help. Yes she is eating and drinking and alert. I worry the other new chicks will peck the wound so right now she is alone( this just happened ). Should I cover the wound? Dont know if that is even possible??
The were separated from the hen by fencing but I see now how they got through.
It's a large coop had 6 live here happily for years.
I am mad at myself...thought I sectioned it off well.
I also bring the new ones out in the yard in a wire pen so they can see each other. when the hen is free in the yard.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-old-chick-with-severe-neck-abrasion.1360038/

My chicken had the same type of injury! The link is where I talked about it. Keep the wound moist at all times! If it hardens, it will affect her mobility, be itchy, heal slower, etc. Keep it moist, and check out how I had to managed my little bird. Also, I didn't have a before pic, but it looked nearly identical, and at the same age, as your chick.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-old-chick-with-severe-neck-abrasion.1360038/

My chicken had the same type of injury! The link is where I talked about it. Keep the wound moist at all times! If it hardens, it will affect her mobility, be itchy, heal slower, etc. Keep it moist, and check out how I had to managed my little bird. Also, I didn't have a before pic, but it looked nearly identical, and at the same age, as your chick.
Thank you. I am glad for the help. I will keep it moist! Glad to here yours lil one recovered so well.

Thank you for your help. I did not mean for them to be with the hen. I was an accident...my fault.
I will still keep them in different areas but able to see each other. Didn't plan to let them be introduced for a few weeks yet.
I did change everything! The wounded chick is with the other 5 chicks but is separated with strong fencing. So they can see each... she seems glad to see them.
I cleaned the wound again slowly and more deliberately. Cover it well with neosporin. And gave loves of cuddles. She seems much better.

Should I cover the wound?
Thank you for your help. I did not mean for them to be with the hen. I was an accident...my fault.
I will still keep them in different areas but able to see each other. Didn't plan to let them be introduced for a few weeks yet.
I did change everything! The wounded chick is with the other 5 chicks but is separated with strong fencing. So they can see each... she seems glad to see them.
I cleaned the wound again slowly and more deliberately. Cover it well with neosporin. And gave loves of cuddles. She seems much better.
Glad she's eating/drinking!
I do prefer for mine to be out and able to see others if I separate them. Just watch the wound closely that flies don't get it on it.
Clean as needed and apply triple antibiotic ointment.
I'm not a fan of covering/dressing wounds at all unless a bird starts picking at it.

Hi everyone, My chick is doing well! She went back with the other chicks the next day. They are not bothering her wound.
Thank you again for the help.
Oh...a chick with neosporin on her that takes a dust bath makes for a real mess. They spent the day in the pen on grass all day after that. The bottom of the run is sand. But she let's me clean her up without a fuss...she is so cuddley.

Hi everyone, My chick is doing well! She went back with the other chicks the next day. They are not bothering her wound.
Thank you again for the help.
Oh...a chick with neosporin on her that takes a dust bath makes for a real mess. They spent the day in the pen on grass all day after that. The bottom of the run is sand. But she let's me clean her up without a fuss...she is so cuddley.
Glad she's doing well!

Yes, dirt and neosporin don't mix well LOL
Is the wound scabbed over?

Back
Top Bottom