Wound on leg - how close can I cut back the feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sadies chicks, Aug 2, 2011.

1. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    My braham has a wound on her leg and I need better access to it. It is right where her leg feathers are....so, how close can I cut leg feathers or is it better to pluck them?? [​IMG]

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no real idea- so hopefully someone wise will jump in. But I would think that plucking would just cause more injuries and places for bacteria to grow.

3. sadies chicks

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    That is what I am thinking too....I would really not want to pluck...just thinking of options.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:If you look closely at the feather shaft you can see where the shaft is empty and where the "quick " is trim just where the shaft is empty. I have had to trim my Brahmas leg and it's very easy. you just have to be careful.

5. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you use shears or a razor? Is there really any reason why it must be cleared of feathers? Are the feathers sticking into the wound? Perhaps just keep it well cleaned and sprayed and antibiotic put on couple times a day. Might be all you need to do??

edit: good advice above! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  6. sadies chicks

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Ok thanks Miss Lydia, I will try that [​IMG]

Hawkeye95 - I just can't see the extent of the wound since the feathers are basically laying on top of it and they grow out in a way that you can't really move them aside to see. I have been treating the wound but am not really able to tell if it is getting better and thought that cutting the feathers back would help me see it clearer [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by