wound on my quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dani xxx, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    [​IMG]
    I noticed a tiny bit of blood in fresh veg bowl this am I didn't see any thing at the time but came back and had a proper look I found one with a wound on wing area I watched it for a while before I caught it and and she is eating and drinking fine I have put her in box on her own now

2. ZedR

ZedR Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2015
    Central PA
    I'd put some Blue Kote on it. That stuff is AMAZING. It'll disinfect the area, promote rapid healing AND turn it blue so she can return to general population without being pecked.

If you haven't used it before just be careful. It stains... everything.. clothing, hands, face (oh yeah.. been there done that LOL )

3. Dani xxx

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    Thanks i have only had them for about 3 weeks this is their first issue ! X I had a look only suppliers are in America found something similar and ordered express delivery ! X I'll give it a clean with salty water till it arrives ! X

1 person likes this.
  4. Dani xxx

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    Just cleaned it and found another wound on her back too cleaned them both fingers crossed she will be ok I will apply spray as soon as arrived and put her back with other 6

5. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    That doesn't look like your usual pecking or boinking wound to me...? Do you have any clue how she got it? Anything she could get caught on in the cage? Any sharp edges? I'd put some effort into finding the cause, as I don't think it's obvious.

6. Dani xxx

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    I assume it was over food as found blood in the veg bowl no where else in the run ! X no sharp edges in run at all and house is made of smooth plastic only other possibility is a cat got is feet through the bars some how but ment to be predator proof my cat can't get get its feet through but he is a massive cat ! X

7. Dani xxx

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    I found another wound on the back of her neck/head all the feathers are stuck together I have cleaned it and other 2 wounds bless her ! X

8. Dani xxx

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    Blue spray finally arrived **** xmas post ! X Right I now have a semi blue quail bless her my mum accidentally got my arms and boobs in the process oops gonna put her back with her fingers crossed friends and hope all goes well ! X

9. Dani xxx

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    Went to feed the quails this am and dill seems ok but was in the house and everyone else was outside I gave them food then anise started chasing dill and fennel and another girl off the food I have caught her and removed her for a bit of solitary confinement poor dill was having to fly up to get away from her with a healing wing

10. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Aww I would suggest making a partition in the cage, fence/mesh off a corner with their own food and water and put the bully in there so she can try to get the others but will eventually realize the effort is futile and should relax and not be such a bully when she's reintroduced. Could take a day, could take weeks - just depends! Always good to keep the partition for a few days after just in case.

I'm sure you know this but it's super important that the quail don't run out of food or water or else that can trigger fighting/bullying over resources.

Adding more hiding places could help as well, a lot of people use pine branches :eek:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by