1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wound spray thats safe for egg layers

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jk47, Feb 8, 2014.

1. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    Is there anything that I can use on bald spots from getting picked on and light wounds
    I thought of using blue kote butI sell my eggs and perfer somthing thats an approved
    Product and that I can use the eggs during treatment

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    What's wrong with the eggs if you use Blue Kote? Acriflavine is the ingredient in Blue Kote that is harmful if you eat the parts of the animal it was recently used on. You know, you can't use it on animals going to slaughter as it taints that area of meat. I don't see how that relates to eggs.

3. jk47

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    the reason is that nobody seens to be able to give me a withdrawl time for blue kote and I will eat the hens when they stop laying so if I use it then will it eventually be safe to eat the meat after a year as gone by or will the meat be still tainted

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Castor oil will work fine and will promote fast feather regrowth and healing, though it won't disguise these parts to dissuade other birds from picking. If you have picking issues you need way more space or less birds in the space you currently have.

5. jk47

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    Never thought to use castor oil I will look into that and I have enough room for my birds the problem is that theres one nest box that they all want to lay in and one trys to lay well another is already there and wont move when the othet on picks at it [​IMG]

6. jk47

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    Also how do I use castor oil

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  7. Beekissed

You might want to add another nest box to eliminate that problem because no matter how much you treat your bird, if the picking continues they will not heal up. You can just spread the castor oil right onto the raw and naked areas. Doesn't matter if the feathers get oily.

8. jk47

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    Hahaha I have 10nest boxes for 12 hens and I have tried using dummy eggs to make the other nests more desirable but nothing
    The favorite nest is in the corner so I might try and making the other nests more hidden to see if they will use them if they seem more safe

9. Beekissed

That's easy...block off the favorite nest.

1 person likes this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto...and put a couple golf balls in all the rest of them...see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by