Wound treatment for Turkeys

Iowa Farmer

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Hello,

I have had livestock for a long time, but the turkeys are new to me. The Giant White turkeys are 4 weeks old and are on a self feed ration of KENT 27% Multiflock. Today I noticed one that was bleeding under her chin (?). I put her in a port-a-hut separated for the others. She eats well and seems in OK sprits, but what else do I need to treat this with? Is it normal for them to fight? They have at least 12.5 sq. ft of space per bird and plenty of fresh air in the building along with fans to keep air moving. They eat 4 oz of feed each per day, which from what I've read and KENT has told me, is normal or above normal. Any help is appriciated. Thank you!

Brandon

How bad is the cut? If it is not bad I usually do nothing. If it has stopped bleeding they usually are fine. You might put a little peroxide on it. They usually do not fight at that age, it probably just got scratched or somthing.

I had a wound on my gander that was open and bloody, but I couldn't get anyone to help me hold him down to apply something to it until it had scabbed over. The next time I was at Wal-mart I bought some of that spray neosporin--which is the coolest stuff ever. I have no kids, so i wouldn't have even known about it except I saw a commercial during one of my very infrequent TV shows. I can hold him back and spray at any new wounds without any help. I keep the spray stuff by my back door specifically for my animals.

Unless you are getting serious bleeding, I would just disinfect the wound and keep your turkey separate until it scabs over enough the others won't bother it.

Back
Top Bottom