Wound under hen's wing, did I treat it right?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chido, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Chido

Chido Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    Picture of the wound

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c36/moralgriever/chickens/SDC11876_zps5eb6d5b3.jpg

the chickens were screaming and sounded the alarm around noon today. We didn't see anything and everybody was accounted for and seemed ok. when my younger niece went to check on them a couple hours later, she saw that her hen, Megatron, had dry blood and when she lifted the her saddle she saw that gaping wound. the muscle seems to be ok, and I think it's only the skin that is torn. the wound is pretty big, at least a couple of inches in length, and it's not bleeding anymore.

We rinsed the wound, applied a lot of neosporin inside it, and I tried to close the wound a bit with a bit of tape in the middle so when it starts to scab over, the area isn't as big. We also put a big piece of nonstick gauze with more neosporin on it, and wrapped bandaged around the hen to keep it in place for now. I made sure that the bandage is not tight and I'll leave it on her only until tomorrow, then I'll leave it exposed so it dries. If Megatron doesn't peck her wound 'll leave it like that then, and right now I'm keeping her isolated in a big bunny crate with food and water here in my room, and she's been eating pretty well,although she's not moving around much, probably because of the pain.

Have I treated her wound right? I don't have much experience dealing with wounds on birds or chicken first aid, so am I missing anything?

2. Chido

Chido Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    I posted this in the wrong forum by mistake, is there any way to move it? Sorry :(

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Copy and paste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by