1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wound Worse than I Thought--Need Advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SixChiks, Aug 4, 2011.

1. SixChiks

SixChiks New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    I posted yesterday about my 12 wk layer attacked by a dog. Thought it was just feathers ripped off large 3 x 4 patch on her throat

Got the betadine. Cleaned it. Realized there was a deep tear into the one side along her crop and trachea but not into either of those. Cleaned as best I could and put on antibiotic gel again.

She is eating a little and pooping a little. Quiet. She's by herself in the brooder bin in the garage. It's just the right size for her to have the little bowls of food and water right by her head when she lies down. But she can also stand up and turn around. I've been out to check on her and speak to her every couple hours. And I did phone calls out there at lunch. Don't want her getting depressed.

QUESTION #1 today.
    She's on a clean towel, so nothing is getting in wound. Obviously if she does get poo on the wound I'll need to cleanse. But do I need to clean and put new abx gel every day? I'm thinking yes, but I'm not sure.

QUESTION #2
    I'm praying it does not get infected. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thank you!!!!

Carol
    Columbus, ohio area

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Yes, reapply antibiotic ointment daily. Plus give her vitamins and electrolytes in her water to help her over the shock. Feed her some extra protein like mashed boiled eggs to help her heal. Sorry this happened to her.[​IMG]

3. SixChiks

SixChiks New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    Well, she was doing so great, I put her with one chicken in the morning yesterday and then the full flock. All is well.
    Appreciated the quick advice on this and another thread.

Carol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by