Wounded duck foot (pics attached)

ivytalks

In the Brooder
May 23, 2022
Hi everyone!

My 6 month old ancona hurt his foot yesterday afternoon. I wasn't home then so I'm not sure how it happened, and he's naturally jumpy and doesn't enjoy being picked up or petted so it's been hard trying to take a better look. He didn't seem to be limping and looked okay so I just changed the pool water so he could clean the wound which he did.

However a few minutes ago I noticed he started limping even in the water. I haven't been able to get him out of there to take a picture of how the wound looks now, the pics are from yesterday before he got in the water to clean it.

Help me, please, what should I do? :(

IMG_20221123_235803.jpg

IMG_20221123_235811.jpg

You should soak his foot in warm Epsom salt water and keep him where he can't get it dirty. He may not like you handling him but you want to keep it from getting infected. You can try after soaking to apply some type of antibiotic ointment on it and wrap it to protect from the nasties he'll be around.

How far under his toe does the wound go?

You should soak his foot in warm Epsom salt water and keep him where he can't get it dirty. He may not like you handling him but you want to keep it from getting infected. You can try after soaking to apply some type of antibiotic ointment on it and wrap it to protect from the nasties he'll be around.

How far under his toe does the wound go?
Apologies! I had some crazy days and wasn't able to reply quicker.

Thanks a lot for the advice, I did as you said and his foot seems to be healing quickly 🥺. The wound goes just around a millimeter under the toe but it's more of a scratch there. I got was lucky enough to find some waterproof 'shoes' that have been really helpful keeping the bandage in place, and tomorrow I'll take him to the vet just to make sure he's recovering well.

Again, thank you so much 💓

Back
Top Bottom