Wounded duck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1ADAM12, Mar 29, 2017.

1. 1ADAM12

1ADAM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    I went out this morning to check on the ducks and one female had blood all over one side of her face. It looks like her eyelid was torn. Maybe the drake got a little rough with her last night?

The wife and I cleaned her up the best we could until we get out of work tonight. Is neosporin ok to use? Should I get an antibiotic from TSC? Help please!

Thank you

2. matt richmond

matt richmond Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2017
    Dubois Indiana
    When my duck was attacked by a dog I used triple antibiotic cream but sense ur duck is wounded near its eye I don't no if it would be safe can u call a avian vet and see if they can give u pointers.

3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

If the eye itself isn't injured, I'd start by cleaning the wound out (as thoroughly as you can) with saline or just water. Since the wound is near the eye and medication would likely get in there, I'd use something specifically made for it, like Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel (you should be able to get it from TSC but it's not an antibiotic). If infection is a concern - and I'd try more conservative treatment first to see if she heals without the need for antibiotics - Terramycin is an ophthalmic antibiotic ointment (also should be available from TSC).

If it looks like her eye may have been hurt, having an avian vet evaluate her injury would be best.

Hope she's on the mend soon!

4. 1ADAM12

1ADAM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    The eye does not look injured at all. We cleaned it up pretty well too. I will see what TSC has for meds.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by