1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wounded duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckyGurl, Jul 25, 2011.

1. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

Ok, so in my other thread I said a mink has killed two calls and bit my White Campbell 4 times in the neck. She is still bleeding slowly, and it is bandaged. Can I do anything else? She is drinking, slowly, and ate a handful of peas. Please, can I do anything else? She is the sweetest thing, and was in shock earlier. The wounds have antibiotic on them.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There is a sticky with first aid kit ideas - perhaps some of that may be helpful.

Do you have vitamins? It sounds so small, but might help her recover. Keeping her warm and quiet and secure, which I'm sure you are doing. . .

You might try some of the blood staunching ideas from the first aid kit.

Longer term, you'll need to keep her away from flies - may need to keep her indoors for a while anyway.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  3. DuckyGurl

Quote:Yes, I put herbs on.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes I find singing to my runners helps them feel better. Helps me, too, and they don't care that I can't carry a tune.
    [​IMG]

5. DuckyGurl

Quote:Thanks, I do that all the time when doing chores but am trying to keep her quiet tonite and hope she pulls thru.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I'll be praying for you both. That you get some rest, and heal up fully.

7. DuckyGurl

All right, so this AM I walked out and she quacked at me and stood. There was an egg in there and it looked like she has been drinking. She ate a handful of peas as well. All are good signs I hope!

8. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    I hope she pulls through and is. Fully healthy.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Another thing to think about, if she is the only one left? you might want to get her a companion pretty quick so she won't be so lonely. Heres hoping she pulls through, [​IMG] Sounds like she is on her way [​IMG]

10. DuckyGurl

Yes, as soon as she heals up I will be getting her a companion or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by