Wounded hen.. what could've happened and what needs to be done?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AWickedChicken, Oct 6, 2016.

1. AWickedChicken

AWickedChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2016
    Hi guys, I went to tend to my flock tonight and my silkie hen, which we call the queen because she's the top of the hens as far as their pecking order, has this big dark gash in her side under her wing, I thought somebody must've just went on her at first but when I looked closer it is definitely a wound and she's missing feathers as well. Could another hen have done this or maybe a rooster? I don't think a raccoon did it because nobody else is injured and they are all still there.. (last time raccoons got involved we lost 3 chickens, our head rooster, head hen, and a RIR hen). Does she need to be isolated to heal? Should we try to find a vet to see her or are there antibiotics I can get otc at local farm stores?

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    It would be great if you could post pictures. Yeah i would separate it from the flock until it's healed and make sure wherever you're keeping her is as clean as possible, you don't want any chicken poop or dirt getting in the wound and causing an infection

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

4. AWickedChicken

Sep 20, 2016
    Thank you both! I will have to post pictures when it's light out, it was dark when I got out there so I didn't take any pictures and we are discussing a safe clean space to isolate her until it heals right now. I don't want to stress her out anymore than she already is. If it is a rooster is there way, other than separating, that we can prevent this from happening again? We're already in the process of building separate housing for the roosters but until then I don't really have a way of separating them...

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    One of the best ways I've found to "isolate" an injured bird is using a wire dog kennel. These can be set up in the run and/or coop. You can keep bedding relatively clean, the injured bird is still seen, heard and part of the flock, but they have a safe space to heal and rest. (Sick birds would need to be housed away from the flock).

Sometimes trimming nails and spurs can help. Chicken saddles/hen aprons for the girls to wear are somewhat helping in protecting their backs, but the girls would still need to be routinely checked over for any signs of injury.

Separate housing is a good idea if you have multiple roosters. Housing/fencing, rearranging and making room/space is always an ongoing project[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  6. AWickedChicken

Sep 20, 2016
    Hi guys, I'm sorry it took me so long to get a picture, the head rooster Viserys doesn't like me getting particularly close to her, her back is still looking messed up from time to time and she is the only one out of our eleven hens that this is happening to. I did manage to get a not so close picture of her on November 6th that I just found and another one tonight, but the lower chain rooster is blocking most of her in tonights, I'll try to get another one tomorrow without getting "cock-blocked".

Daenerys (Silkie hen)
    [​IMG]
    November 6th(left) December 2nd(right)

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

That is caused from the Rooster breeding the Hen...The cuts are from his spurs.......Basically she is being over bred.....

Cheers!

8. AWickedChicken

Sep 20, 2016
    Thank you, do you know if the feathers will grow back where he's torn her up? Separating her isn't really isn't an option at the moment but I will try to find a way to get them separated.

9. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

They will regrow after she moults.....Only if not being bred so much.........

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by