1. chicks-n-bees

chicks-n-bees Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2012
    Black Mountain, NC
    So it's the middle of the night and I hear a terrible squawking in the back yard. I run out to the coop (sadly left open but surrounded by an electronet fence) and find my 2 hens very upset and a handful of feathers on the floor. My husband and I brought both birds into the house to examine them and found that one had been wounded on her back. Her feathers are covering the injury but a section of skin about the size of a lemon is missing. We put down meal worms, feed and water and both girls ate and drank happily exploring the living room as if nothing were wrong. We found a large plastic tote, put shavings in the bottom and a bowl of water with a wire shelf on top for a make shift coop in the living room. Both the birds are sleeping fine there and so I haven't messed with the wound yet. What should I do for this poor injured bird? At this point I figure I'll let them sleep and check in the morning and hopefully someone will reply with a post that gives me some idea what to do. I hate to mess with it too much if it's not bothering her but I also would hate to have it get worse. Thanks for the help.

2. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Depending on how bad the wound is, Blu Kote if it isn't deep and just the skin has been removed. If in the daylight you find it's more than that you can use neosporin, without 'pain relief'. Keep watch for infection.

3. chicks-n-bees

May 1, 2012
    Black Mountain, NC
    Should I try to wash her or just keep applying the anti biotic ointment? Any other suggestions?

4. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Can you get a picture of her? If she is going to be in the coop with the other birds I would hesitate to use the ointment without washing before each new application. That stuff is sticky and a hen house isn't eactly what you'd call sterile.

5. chicks-n-bees

May 1, 2012
    Black Mountain, NC
    Thanks for your help. She seems to be doing ok although I haven't inspected the wound for a few days. I gave up on the ointment when she kept insisting on dust bathing. She doesn't seem to know she's been hurt so I've just been leaving her alone to heal. The only thing I'm wondering about is her eggs. She's been laying some strange shaped, somewhat wrinkled eggs lately. Could this be from stress or not even related?

6. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    that's great. For the most part, they will heal up fairly well with only a little intervention from us. If the wound starts showing signs of becoming septic, I wouldn't hesitate to give her an antibiotic internally. You probably won't have to though. As for the eggs, I don't know. It might be from stress, it could be something else. I am going to find a link for you that Casportpony posted to another thread. It's all about eggs and there might be an answer there. If possible, get a picture of one or two of them. The pictures say it all in the end. Let me find the thread I'm thinking of and I'll post it here for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by