wounded hen

Stephania

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
Is it possible,that she can be mended? It looks as if, she has been ripped open, but not into the meat. We found her this morning.

Keep flies out of the wound, slather it with antibiotic ointment, and she will very likely heal. It appears to be posterior to the wings and just anterior to the thigh - typical area for rooster injury. If you have a rooster you may want to trim his spurs and toenails. I would also keep her away from roosters until she heals.

We are not sure how to keep ointment on it. I can almost stick my hand into the hole and massage her leg. What about packing the wound. Will that cause more infection?

I would probably irrigate the wound with weak betadine or hibiclens, or water from the kitchen sprayer. You can either put antibiotic ointment down in there, or take gauze soaked in normal saline and pack gently inside the wound, then change it daily. It should decrease in size every day. As Sourland said, flies can lay maggot larvae in wounds this time of year, so keep her in or watch her closely. I haven't used it but some people recommend SWAT for horses to prevent flies.

Back
Top Bottom