wounded leg not sure whats wrong need HELP

BarnDoorClosed

Chirping
May 24, 2018
I have a road island red hen thats about 9 years old and 7 days ago today I let her out with the rest of the flock and everyone was normal, come that afternoon Annabelle(rir) was hopping on one leg back to the pen. I took her to the vet and all checks were normal as far as visual exam. No xrays taken, I cant afford them, the vet said no visible signs of a break are seen and the hen can bare some weight on the right leg but not much. Vet thinks it could be merecks disease but the only sign symptom she has is the bum leg so I disagree. The vet also told me she had very little experience with chickens, great! Reflexes are good on the right foot, RIGHT LEG IS THE ONE IN QUESTION HERE, left leg is normal. When I stand her up she can stand on both feet for about 5 minutes before she sits down. both feet look normal. Also want to add she has always had a slight limp since birth, more of a waddle to her walk but never had an issue.Toe reflexes are good on right foot and she will let you move the leg around without pulling back in pain but she also does not pull the leg back like normal when you stretch it out, Like the left leg when stretched out she will pull back, right leg she does not. It almost looks like it dont belong to her if that makes sense. She has been separated from the flock, no other birds show any signs other than normal. While she has been separated she still eats drinks and poops normal and even still lays an egg every other day! I put her on a diet for 2 days with epsom salt mixed into the feed, I saw to try this for possible botulism, she has not gotten any worse over the last week nor has she gotten any better. I also soaked her in cold water for a short time(10min) and tried the same with warm water. She has not lost any weight that i can tell and aside from the leg that dont seem to work anymore she is alert, comb has good color eyes are good everything is good. Also rubbed her feet and legs down good with coconut oil thinking maybe leg mites but there are no mites present on her at all. ANY help and or advice is greatly welcomed!!! I have searched the web daily looking for answers or what to try and I need help from someone who has just been through this before. SO sorry this is long I just wanted to let you know what the issue is and what all I have tried thus far......desperate mother trying to fix her baby!!! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

I will get pictures of her standing and legs tomorrow first thing! She is definitely a senior and my beloved as well , desperately trying everything to help her .

Do you have any pictures of her standing? I am not sure what might be wrong. It is possible that she has some nerve damage, or possibly a leg bone deformity that has caused the hock tendon to rupture. Pictures might help. At 9 years old she is certainly a senior citizen.

20180721_105220.jpg
20180721_105151.jpg
20180721_105136.jpg
20180721_105143.jpg

When she is facing the camera the bad leg is on the left side. Still the same today, she will stand on both when I set her down but only for a few minutes then she sits. I am treating her for leg mites because I think she may have them with how her scales are raised. After a week of lameness she is getting red spots on the bottom of her foot on the lame side.

What does the red spot on the bottom of the foot look like?
I agree, she has a few raised scales that could indicate SLM.
Hopefully @Eggcessive will chime back in, but considering her age, likely she has Arthritis.
You are doing what you can for her, soaking the feet to help with inflammation and the application of oil/ointment to soothe the scales won't hurt.

A picture of her footpad would be helpful. I would keep treating her for leg mites at least once a week. Castor oil is very good and less messy, and I have used Crisco shortening, or vaseline to smother the mites. My 7 year old rooster looks a bit like your hen and he struggles to get around. Like your hen, it may be the mites or arthritis, or both. Can you ask your vet if meloxicam might be good to give your hen? That is a good pain and anti-inflammatory drug for animals. Aspirin can also be used 81 mg tablet twice a day, in a treat or given orally. My rooster was having so much trouble getting around last winter, that I was considering putting him down. I try to treat his legs weekly, and that has made a lot of difference. He still walks with difficulty, but he has been getting around better, and he even has mated with a few hens this spring.

I have been soaking her legs in a bath every day, it's for arthritis and also been putting vaseline on her legs and feet. She is still laying an egg every other day, what a trooper to be in pain and still give an egg! She can stand for short periods but walks on the one foot still. The red spots on her feet dont look like sores they look like I took a red marker and dotted a few spots, they are not raised at all and dont seem to hurt her. I also noticed A fairly big red patch on her skin below the vent a good bit but I think its possibly a sore developing due to her laying down all day. Still alert eating drinking (I added electrolytes to water) and I gave her some ivermectin yesterday as well. What worries me most is when she is in the box alone, if water and food are at the other end she will not move to get to it, she waits for me to move her then eats like starved. If that hungry why wouldnt she hobble over. Unless the pain is that bad, at this point I'm sure the good leg also hurts from walking on just it when she does. If this is going to be her life I would rather put her down than let her live alone. That will suck. It's been 10 days now, how long is the general "get better" period if she would be going to get better????

What does the red spot on the bottom of the foot look like?
I agree, she has a few raised scales that could indicate SLM.
Hopefully @Eggcessive will chime back in, but considering her age, likely she has Arthritis.
You are doing what you can for her, soaking the feet to help with inflammation and the application of oil/ointment to soothe the scales won't hurt.
The red spots look like I took a red marker and dotted her, not like a sore spot at all and not raised at all either. She also has a red spot on the skin where she lays down, I'm assuming from laying down so much. Just red skin no scales scabs or open sores

Back
Top Bottom