wounded rooster

Darby

Hatching
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Hi All, My year old rooster has been savaged by our dog,(they have lived together for a year without incident)I know the rooster to be the aggressor. He has been spurring the dogs the last week or so. Anyway, to my dogs credit she didn't killl him but plucked his feathers undr his wings and on his back. I see no puncture wounds but the skin is crusty and red. He is eating and drinking after the initial shock. I put him in a animal carrier in the house with a warming light on him and that seemed to bing him out of the shock.He lived through the night and drank water this morning but is not interested in the food. My question is should I put antibiotic ointment on him or just keep the skin moist with a light coat of olive or vegtable oil. I'll be keeping him in the house until he's better.I know he could shut down at any time. Is there anything else I should be doing for him? Antibiotics in the water? should I offer him hard boiled egg or some other soft food like maybe a mash of some sort?? Any advice would be great!!! Oh, He's a Partridge bantam cochin. Thank!!!Darby

I wouldn't put anything on him that the air couldn't get through...did you wash off the wounds?
Aspirin in his water can help for pain and just keep him quiet and warm...and get his head examined...he's a dunce if he thinks spurring the dogs will win him friends.
wink.png

Hey thanks for the input spottedcrow, I did wash his wounds and he seems much better tonight. He groomed what feathers he has left on his back and ate some hard boiled eggs and is drinking lots of water. I think he's sore but he was talking to me tonight. if I do see an abcess brewing should I use neosporin?? I've seen it mentioned on this sight a few times. My husband agrees with you about the head examination, but It could be my fault because I've always raised the chicks with the dogs peaking ther noses in the chick cage. He's(the rooster)has never been fearful of the dogs.I hope he has some fear now!!!!
ep.gif

it wouldn't hurt to dab a little diluted betadine on the wounds to kill bacteria from dog bite/scratch..
and keep watch for signs of infection.

some vitamins and electrolytes will help come out of shock.

watch the droppings for signs of blood, or any body swelling, in case of internal injury.

Back
Top Bottom