WOW! 13 week old laid a full size egg today!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lengel, Jan 14, 2009.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I ordered eight NH Reds and four Production Reds born October 15th and today one laid a beautiful full size egg!

They were getting too big for the brooder in the basement so we put all twelve in a tractor for the winter during a freakishly warm weekend at the end of December. I just went out to do a warmth check and found the egg, frozen solid and cracked on the ground near the ramp. I can't get to it without compromising the lovely insulating snow bank that is protecting the lower level of the tractor from the wind but I'll try to take a pic tomorrow when it's light out.

I kind of feel sorry for the poor hen who laid the thing. Can you imagine? They're still so small. The egg looks huge next to the birds. That just *had* to hurt.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. Poor little girl.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Are there any older hens in there with them ??

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Same question... I have not yet heard of a chick so young laying an egg!!!! [​IMG]

5. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    No older hens. These guys have only ever been with each other. DH built six tractors so far so I keep them separated according to age and familiarity with each other to minimize conflict. I'll separate four of these guys out when they get a little bigger so that they can have their own tractor.

It is weird though. I have two black sex links who are almost a year and never have laid.

Should I start giving them layer feed? Will this harm the non-layers? Maybe wait under some of the other start to lay?

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think someone is playing a joke on you [​IMG]

7. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I just got pics. Give me a minute and I'll post.

8. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    OK. Here is the tractor. It's the one on the right. It hasn't snowed since Sunday. You can see the buildup around the bottom.

[​IMG]

Here are the little girls up top. They are saying "Close the door you blasted idiot!

[​IMG]

Here's the egg, which appeared this afternoon. I can't even get to this area unless I dig out the tractor and defrost the door to the bottom area.

[​IMG]

I appreciate the possibility of it being a trick except that DH has fragile bone disease and breaks a bone every time he falls hard so the thought of him risking this to play a joke is pretty slim. He just doesn't go out back once the ground freezes. I suppose I could have done my math wrong but I'm pretty sure that October 15 - January 14 is 91 days (13 weeks).

We'll know soon enough if we start getting more. Then I'll have to dig out the tractor to retrieve them I suppose so they don't eat them.

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Don't give them layer feed yet. You want them to grow up more before they start getting the extra calcium and less protein that layer feed provides. It's not good for them to start laying young. I don't remember what problems it causes, but if you can prevent it, do so... I'm off to research for you.

10. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Quote:Thank you. I certainly don't want her to be laying when she's so small. It can't possibly be good for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by