WOW! 1st egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by reksat, Aug 21, 2011.

1. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    [​IMG] Our daughter went out yesterday evening and there it was, under the coop.Overwelmed with joy, after 17 weeks building the coop,the run,cleaning and raking, good things are finally happening and we hope it continues.Will they eventually use the nest boxes or is there a secret on how to get them in there?

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Did you put any dummy eggs in the boxes? I'm using plastic Easter Eggs with a rock inside for weight but it can be anything roundish (golf balls are popular).

3. Momaha

Momaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Sooner Nation WWHQ
    Right on!

4. Gen9

Gen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    NC
    this is Ella, my Ameraucana who laid the first egg - I can never get close to her because she is so darn skittish
    [​IMG]

2 of my Ameraucanas Elsa (left) and Ella (center)

[​IMG]

Close up of Elsa, she isn't shy
    [​IMG]

This is my set up, we left some space so my husband can put up a 6ft privacy fence. Once the fence is up, we'll extend the run to the fence.

[​IMG]

These are my polish crested, we're introducing them to the flock, it's been a month and I still don't think it's safe for them to go in general population, so they stay here in isolation - I might have to get rid of the cockerel though [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is, the first egg, when I left to the farmer's market, I found another one in the nest, looked exactly the same. My only conclusions are that Ella laid 2 and I missed it, but if everyone here is saying that's impossible, then it had to be my other Ameraucana as well. (One of the reasons I got assorted chickens, so I can keep tabs on who is laying)
    [​IMG]

Ella proudly singing her egg song
    [​IMG]

5. Gen9

Jun 1, 2011
    NC
    Quote:I put ping pong balls in the nests, because golf balls are too expensive... and it worked. I've heard some chickens lay eggs in the run and every other place except the nesting boxes, but talking to a local out here, she says they should know where to go, so that changed my opinion. I think as long as you provide a place that's
    1. Dark
    2. Private
    3. Cozy
    I think they will lay there. If it doesn't work, the ping pong balls worked for me (and their first eggs are just a little bigger than the ping pongs).

6. Gen9

Jun 1, 2011
    NC
    Quote:That's a good idea, I should have saved some from Easter because I got my girls in late April. I used ping pong balls (golf balls too expensive)

7. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    i got my second this morning it wasnt in the box and i have golf balls in there the first one was i hope they come around to using it

8. Gen9

Jun 1, 2011
    NC
    Quote:Wow, how unpredictable! LOL never a dull moment when it comes to chickens!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by