1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wow. Big first Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tyfani, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Tyfani

Tyfani Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    Orland, CA
    I got my first egg last Sunday, I was super excited and I told everyone DON'T EAT IT!
    Yesterday was the sixth egg/day so I figured I wouldn't have another egg today unless one of the other hens decided to start laying. I collected the mail, checked on the chickens and woah. I pulled out this huge egg! Double the size of the others.

I have 1 gold sexlink hen, 1 rhode island red, 2 buffs, and 1 marans.

I have no idea who layed the first dozen, they look sorta like buff eggs compared to pictures I've looked up. But does anyone have any idea who layed today's egg?
    Thanks!

The big one is the egg from today, the medium sized egg is from yesterday, and the smallest was the first egg.

[​IMG]

I have another question too, when are the eggs hatchable? Since the first dozen are still gradually getting bigger each day should I wait to hatch anything until the size is consistent everyday?

2. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

It is better to wait until the girls get up to their adult size of eggs. Also, just FYI, sometimes pullets produce too many yolks, and their shell glands either can't keep up or misfire-betcha anything the big one's a double-yolker. If you really want, you can try and hatch it, but they don't tend to live.
    For the double-yolker, both Rhodies and Gold Sexlinks are well-known for them.

What kind of rooster do you have?

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Most likely this egg is from the bird who is already laying. Birds can lay 7 or 8 days straight before taking a break, although I think it's more common to lay 5 or 6 days before doing so. Any of the double yolkers I got were during the first several weeks of laying the girls did, but the first egg (actually the first several) were quite a bit smaller than normal.

4. Tyfani

Tyfani Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    Orland, CA
    I don't have any kind of incubator right now so I'm not too concerned with hatching, but definitely for the future. It kinda crossed my mind that it was a double yolker, but I'll break it open and see what I get. [​IMG]

I have a Marans rooster. Thanks for posting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by