WOW Bobcat just attacked chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mstrrlm, Oct 9, 2011.

1. mstrrlm

mstrrlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    Chickens started going nuts knew something wrong so looked, luckly I forgot to turn light off in coop and saw [​IMG] the SOB trying to jump on the side of coop etc... My son had moved my gun so bobcat got away THIS TIME Guess it is time to go Hunting!!! 1 or 2 shots of lead have been ordered by the doctor.[​IMG]

2. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

A bobcat almost wiped out our whole flock of chickens last year and did wipe out all of our ducks....we caught him in the act but didn't have a gun at the time...we chunked rocks at him, sticks he didn't even care...it was kind of scary.....we do have a gun now....and if we see him this fall he is as good as dead....he reached into the 4 x6 chainlink dog kennel and ripped two of our hens heads off, grabbed them off of the roosting pole....and we got a gun and set in the barn lot in the pickup truck to try and kill him for two or three nights....and did't see him.....the fourth night he came back and killed and drug off two of our grown ducks...They are pretty smart and are not that scared at least this one wasn't....which scared the crap out of me...LOL HE WILL BE BACK and I HOPE YOU KILL HIM!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  3. mstrrlm

mstrrlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    Well sorry to hear about yours I will stay up tomorrow to hopefully kill him I scared him off when I went out. But since he didn't succeed I suspect he will be back in a day or 2

4. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    Best bet is to go over your coop/run and make sure it's as predator proof as possible. But as far as fearing for yourself a bobcat is no threat to humans. They look a lot bigger than they actually are and they don't behave like mountain lions.

5. Maine-nugget

Maine-nugget Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2010
    Midcoast Maine
    Jeez, we also had a bobcat in our backyard yesterday that went after our flock. Thankfully I was right at the back door and was able to run right out, so the chickens were okay (although pretty freaked out!). That bobcat was pretty bold, though. Even with me out there running at it and yelling, it was not in any big hurry to leave. I will be going over the coop carefully to make sure it is predator proof and no more free ranging unless we are home. Does anyone know of any additional ways to deter bobcats? Our .22 is within arms reach of our back door now, and will remain there!

6. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Housecats don't like the smell of orange peel...maybe try it for wildcats...?

I don't know if it has to be the actual orange or if you can use orange fragrance oil, which would last longer.

7. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Has he been back.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by