Wow.. Can you believe this is the same duck :0)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by teresa-78, Sep 14, 2010.

1. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Hello, just thought I would post a few pics of my 17 week old runner duck, and how he has changed in the past 4 months.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out of 6, 1 day old chicks I purchased, 4 turned out to be males.... typical... but this is the one I am going to keep. I must say I think he is a stunner [​IMG]

2. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] oooxxxx

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh wow, he's beautiful! We have some runner x mallard hybrids where I live, but I don't think they turned out as nice as yours. Mostly, they don't stand up straight. They're still pretty, but I like yours, too.

4. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Thanks very much [​IMG] , its been great watching him completely change colour... the base of his tale where its black, shines green like his head in the sun, its just amazing [​IMG]

5. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

What a looker! [​IMG]

6. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    He's gorgeous. The only really weird thing is that he looked so distinctly Grey (what you call "Mallard" in the UK) as a duckling with the distinct eye stripes, but ended up with obvious signs of dusky with no neck ring and claret. Otherwise though, his color is completely normal. They make quite a change from juvenile to adult plumage.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  7. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

He is just beautiful! His eyes even changed from the little "kid" look to the studly "look at me!" . . .very nice pics!!! But even though he grew up gorgeous, don't you miss those baby days. He was just so darn cute!!

8. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    I get all confused with the colour... when I brought him I was told he was a trout?? since I have been told he is a blue fawn, lol could anyone help me out with his true colour I get very lost with it all [​IMG]

His eyes have changed from 'cute little dots' to 'im the daddy' [​IMG]

I will have to add some more pics of him, the last pic was a bit blurred because he would not stand still, thanks for all your nice comments, im so glad I kept him, it was between him and a blue, I think I made the right choice [​IMG]

9. CityChicker

Mar 21, 2009
    It is really not that confusing! I promise, LOL.

I remember you posting about these birds before. I never told you that bird was Blue Fawn. The other bird you have or had that looked the same, but had the slight blueish grey cast was the Blue Fawn, not this one. This bird I believe we all told you previously was a Grey (again, in the US we call the color "Grey", but in the UK, you refer to it as "Mallard"). What none of your birds are, beyond a shadow of doubt, are Trouts. Trout is a completely different color. It is Grey/Mallard plus light phase and Trouts are much, much lighter in appearance. I remember that RevolutionMama had posted a picture of a Trout for comparison. They look completely different.

Now, as the bird in question has feathered out in adult plumage, it is more obvious that he is mixed color. In very basic terms, all duck colors are built on a particular color pattern. A bird inherits one gene from each parent for whatever pattern (Wild-type pattern, dusky pattern, restricted mallard pattern). If the patterns of the parents are not the same, birds like yours result. In his juvenile plumage, he looked more like a Grey/Mallard (wild type). In his adult plumage, he shows obvious signs of dusky (no neck ring, no claret). This just means that one of his parents was the wild type (known as m+) and the other was a dusky based color (m^d). I would not use him for breeding if color is important to you as his color is not correct for Mallard or Dusky, he is an off-color.

He definitely is not Trout and he definitely is not Blue Fawn. If you thought I was saying he was Blue Fawn, we were not talking about the same bird. I was talking about the lighter colored bird with the Grey/Blue tones.

10. CityChicker

Mar 21, 2009
    It is really bizarre though that he made such a radical transformation, cause as a duckling he totally looks Grey/Mallard with those eye stripes. I suppose it is possible he just hasn't finished coming in to adult plumage, but all of my Grey/Mallards get the claret and neck ring right away as they begin molting into adult plumage. It will be interesting to see if he changes even more. He is a beauty though either way. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by