1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wow candling eggs made easy for 42 eggs :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sierra pachie bars, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I saw at target this little light in the clearance isle. $2.45 it even came with battery. So I figured for 2 bucks worth a try. Wow! I just put it over the top in the bator and checked 42 eggs in a snap. Even worked for my green and blue eggs. My marans were hard to tell. Super duper dark hehe. I am thrilled at how well it worked and to think I was going to buy one of those candlers on Ebay that are costly.[​IMG]

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    what is the light called or can you post a pic? . . . I am on my way to target as soon as you post. [​IMG]

3. Sierra pachie bars

Nov 8, 2008
    [​IMG]

Not sure of the maker since I already tossed packing. Wonder if I should go back after I get my kids and buy the rest. ?

4. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    hey i got that same bator! how were your hatches in their?

tip from my mistakes: THOSE SCREWS ARE HOTT!! if you havent figured it out yet. [​IMG]

5. Sierra pachie bars

Nov 8, 2008
    out of 42 so far only had to throw one out [​IMG]

6. Sierra pachie bars

Nov 8, 2008
    Oh yes those screws get really hot lol. I found out when I put my head on it to listen for those little peeps peeps. [​IMG]

I have great hatches I love my bator. I got lucky and got it and the self turner for under 80.00 and free shipping. I love stalking Ebay [​IMG]

7. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I think that that's a MagLight Solitare Flashlight.

8. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I got mine from one of the pegs at the checkstand at Walmart. They do work really good, until your teenager borrows it to tease the dogs and can't remember where she left it... [​IMG]

Michelle

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    [​IMG] Got one thanks for the tip. On sale for 3.68 at my target. Rushed home to do my first candling, lol I guess you must be doing it in a dark room? I'll get this down eventually!

10. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Ha-Ha [​IMG]

yes, in the dark works best. I have my bator in my bathroom which doesn't have a curtain so I have to wait till really late at night (I'm in Alaska and it's not getting dark till after 10) although with the lighter eggs I can get away with doing it a little earlier since they are easier to see through.

Enjoy the candling!!!
    Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by