Wow, do ducks really drink that much water *pics added*percy incuded

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pinkado, May 14, 2011.

1. pinkado

pinkado Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    ok, so now im out of the woods, its 48 hours and my 3 babys are doing well, now i have rasied chicks before, but im noticing ducks are far different, so i have a few questions if you lot wouldnt mind helping a bit more

1 how much water do ducklings drink, coz mine seem to drink a lot, haha

2 what does a healthy ducky poop look like, ( i know all others, just not ducks)

3 do i put grit out for them yet, i have them on chick starter, 19% protien, and wondering how soon do i introuduce some grit

4 what other foods do duckys like?,

5 what age will i give them a pool to play in, now when i say pool, i mean a sauser with some water at he bottom

below are some more pics of my little babys in there new big home

all chilling out on my teddy paws, yes the glass is a mess, due to ducky playing
    [​IMG]

a side on view of castle de ducky
    [​IMG]

and more of my babys snoozing
    [​IMG]

and yes, i just realised all pics are sideways, sorry, dont know how to turn them round [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    1 how much water do ducklings drink, coz mine seem to drink a lot, haha

They play in it more than they drink. I'll bet they only drink a 1/3rd of what's missing when you check. If that. The most important thing is to find the method that best contains the mess (placing the waterer inside a small kitten litter pan, or a paint tray, or something to give them access but retain most of the mess) as well as keeping the water clean. As they grow older, they'll get messier. Keep the water clean as you can!

2 what does a healthy ducky poop look like, ( i know all others, just not ducks)

Brown with a touch of white, they're still birds. That's on a feed diet. The poo changes color based on what they eat. Mine went dark after a field trip outside to a mud pit. Some will be more solid than others, just like chickens it seems like.

3 do i put grit out for them yet, i have them on chick starter, 19% protein, and wondering how soon do i introduce some grit

I have not offered grit yet, I don't know when or if I'm supposed to. For my chickens, they get it for when they free range and they pick up more complex foods to digest. Same thing? Maybe not. Someone else will need to answer that one.

4 what other foods do duckys like?,

Greens, peas, ect. Anything they can play with in their beak they will contemplate eating. So you need to make sure their areas are always free from paint chips, bits of plastic, glass, ect. They have the eye of a chicken with the appetite of a pig. Be careful of what they're around.

5 what age will i give them a pool to play in, now when i say pool, i mean a saucer with some water at he bottom

They need to be able to "clear their noses" in water deep enough for their head after 2 weeks of age. They LOVE it, but you'll actually see them shooting air through their nose under water. Hilarious. Like they're flushing their sinuses or something. I took my paint tray that holds the waterer and just filled it with clean water for them to play in.

My older ones outside have a baby pool with stone steps around it. They don't even care about free ranging, just that pool.

You'll want to get them out of the fish tank soon, those are designed to hold in humidity and moisture, and it can make for "bad air" unless you keep it dry and clean it like 5 times a day. But it catches the ammonia from the poo and holds that in along with the moisture too. Ducks poop way too much to have a set-up that doesn't transfer fresh air into the enclosure. When they're tiny, it would be alright for a couple of days. But as they grow, right around the start of week 2, you'll need something else or a very extensive cleaning schedule.

3. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Well mandelyn pretty much answered as I would but I'm done/noticed a few different things.

My ducks poop is solid after 2 days old ,it was easier to clean up ,more water soluble ,and donsnt stain as much as chicken poop. I let mine swim at 1.5 days old. They go swimming everyday for about 20 minutes. They are almost a week old now. They get on fine ,and I find the swimming makes them preen alot after ,and that makes them spread more water proofing oil into the feathers ,which makes them more water proof everyday. I dont like the idea of first swim at 2 weeks ,but to each their own [​IMG]

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Well by "swim" I meant the outside big bird baby pool. The little guys get a tray set in their brooder so they don't get chilled. I'm just not going to haul them all outside for swimming lessons. [​IMG] Though I did contemplate a baby pool over the drain in the basement floor.... husband shot that idea down fast though.

Water does have them preening a lot, which is good. But they need a place to dry out and nap and stay warm when they're little. Brooders are only so big, and the mess from full time access to water big enough to sit it... ugh. So I do a tray for them to play in before I clean, then I take all the poo and wet out during cleaning and they get the water back before the next cleaning. I let them trash the place with water and then clean it all up.

When they're older, they go outside (if it's warm enough) at 2-3 weeks old and can play in the pool when ever they want. If the temperature cooperates anyways. If it starts to cool down too much, they get a light on in the house and they get locked up.

5. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

something else that's VERY IMPORTANT with ducklings is NIACIN.
    Gamebird feed has this .I feed mine gamebird crumbles ...UNmedicated feed BTW.
    Or you can add brewers yeast or niacin powder(?) to their diet.Check posts on here about the niacin...i just feed the gamebird feed which already has the niacin in it so i haven't worried about that issue too much
    Also...ducklings should NEVER be left alone when they are little to "swim" as they don't have water proof/repellent feathers and if the water is too deep they WILL drown.Be sure they are able to walk on the bottom of their swimming area easily. Do't let them get a chill from being wet . I like to dry mine with the hair drier.i spread out a big towel and just aim the drier in their direction till they have gotten rid of most of the water in their down. They love it and will get as close as they can to the drier and flop down and bask in the warmth.....

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  6. pinkado

pinkado Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    well the fish tank has a mesh top, for air flow, and im in and out of it so much im sure theres air, oh and im always doing this, its not a fish tank, as i keep calling it, its a vivarium, lol, cleaning will not be a problem, i love any excuse to get in there, and i take them out for cuddles alot,
    today, we went to my moms, was so fun, i have a travel bed for them, a nice basket with a hot water bottle and blanket and transportable food and water dish, they had so much fun running around her kitchen, and playing with there food, and pooping all over her nice clean floor, hahahaha
    i wont be using the tank for to long, as im turning it into a large egg incubator for 100 phesant eggs soon, so im off soon to the pet store to get something for them to live in, at 15 days, they will be outside in a specially made baby pen, and then at night, in bed in the house in the new cage i will buy them.
    there now home frommymothers, all on the teddys head so sleepy after there big adventure
    i will get a low frying pan and out water in tomorrow, or maybe tonight,and supervise them playing about
    what i love is when there sleepy fromfun, and all just fall about, walking and then just having a nap attack, hahah

7. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Oh ,also my ducks are always supervised swimming [​IMG] the only water in the cage is a waterdish [​IMG]

8. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

We bought ours a kiddie pool that they lived in for awhile, we just erected sides that were taller for it using cardboard boxes. Later the kiddie pool made a good pool for them to play in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by