wow! ducks dont get cold feet!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by slim1986, Nov 13, 2011.

1. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    I'm watching animal planet right now and they just put up a "fun fact" saying ducks don't have nerves or blood vessels in their feet so their feet never get cold! Crazy! That's something I never knew![​IMG]

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Lies I tell you! My hen that's stuck in the house right now gets FREEZING feet is i have to move her to the cold bedroom away from the fireplace..... I actually had to make a sweater out of a sweatshirt sleeve for her night before last!

ETA: If you look at a ducks feet(if they're pale-colored) you can actually see the little teeny veins running through them... They can also bruise.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  3. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    As blood moves down through their legs into their feet, it is cooled by the blood moving back to their body; likewise, as blood moves back up the legs into the body, it is warmed by the blood moving downwards. The blood vessels are located close to each other, which enables this heat transfer, so that even though the legs get cold, it reduces the impact of the cold feet on the rest of the body.

I either remember this from my comparative vertebrate morphology class I took long ago, or I'm making it up. I can't remember which, it being over 30 years ago, but I don't think ducks have changed much in that time.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  4. slim1986

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    So I can't believe everything I see on tv!?!? [​IMG] Lol! I didn't know how true it was just that they said it!

5. Roxy1989

Roxy1989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Yeah my ducks feet get really cold in snow,they lie on their belly with their feet sticking up [​IMG]

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't like it when people say they don't have nerves or blood vessels in their feet. I know their feet have nerves because they react in pain when something hurts them. They just have a different way of keeping them warm. If they didn't have nerves in their feet, they wouldn't be able to feel the ground when they walk.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:And they wouldn't react to pain stimulus. Without blood vessels, how would they bleed after injury. Common sense is becoming obsolete.

8. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Plus its a well known fact that alot of tropical ducks can lose their feet or parts of due to frostbite.

9. slim1986

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Lol! Well I think they were just talking about the webbing? Idk, I just saw it on animal planet

10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Yup, lies. [​IMG]

Without a blood supply - HOW could their feet ever grow............just imagine have duckling feet on a full sized duck!

Yes, even the webbing has a blood supply.

Yes, when cold, the ducks lay down and tuck their feet up under them to warm them. So do geese.

It never fails to amaze me how many mis-truths are said even on "animal shows" - it really is sad. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by