Wow! First night and girls put themselves to bed!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hummingbird Hollow, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Yesterday evening I put my girls in their coop for the first time. This morning I let them out through the pop door into their run where they spent the day. Right before dinner I went up and turned a light on inside their coop. After dinner, around 8:15 I went up, expecting to have to capture them and stuff them back in their coop and found them all settled in for the night. I gave them some food and water, closed the pop door, dimmed the lights and went back to the house. What brilliant specimens of chickendom! [​IMG]:cd:cd

2. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    That is fabulous! When I tried it my girls got themselves into a spot of bother for 3 nights in a row with three of them crammed into the door together not being able to get past each other and most of the others waiting for the traffic jam to clear [​IMG] It took them a week to get it right [​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    That is awesome! My girls took a week of chasing them into the coop before they figured it out. It wasn't easy getting them through that door.[​IMG]

I'm so happy for you![​IMG]

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Nice. That means you made a good coop that they feel comfortable and safe in. Isn't it funny how much they are effected by light and go comotose in the dark and find a safe place to sleep as it gets to be night.

5. Hummingbird Hollow

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Quote:Well, I have to say I probably wouldn't have thought of going out and turning on the light in the coop before it started getting dark outside if I hadn't read it on this forum. This place has been a very valuable resource to me in getting my coop built, getting the chicks off to a good start and topics too numerous to mention. How very nice to be able to learn from other peoples triumphs and mistakes rather than having to make all those mistakes myself! Thank you BYC and all you fine BYC Forum contributers!

6. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    Am I the only one that thinks
    Isn't it funny how much they are effected by light and go comotose in the dark and find a safe place to sleep as it gets to be night.

this makes them sounds like reverse vampires??​

7. thehbcrew

thehbcrew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    i guess thats there time for bed, mine go to bed every night between 815 and 830

8. DixieChickMom

DixieChickMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

Mine came out on their own and put themselves to bed in the last couple of days too and I was so proud (and excited). You hear how they are supposed to do it, and then they do and it's just the coolest thing.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Hummingbird Hollow

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    It's now 7:47 PM on night two. I've turned on the light and come in for dinner. Let's see if the girls will be as good tonight. I figure one instance could be a fluke, two would be the beginning of a trend!

10. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

isn't that fun! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by