Wow, freshly-laid eggs are warm!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Daisy8s, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    I know this isn't a big deal to experienced chicken owners...but as a new chicken owner I was quite thrilled to find the first egg in the nest box this morning. Kind of hard to get any non-chicken-owning friends excited about this so I decided to post it here.

I was amazed at how warm it was! I grew up on a dairy farm and often drank warm, frothy milk right from the cow on cold winter nights so I shouldn't have been surprised that the egg was warm but somehow I hadn't expected it. I could've carried it around as a hand warmer!

I assume I must have found it pretty quickly after it was laid. About how long will an egg stay warm to the touch after being laid? I'm interested if anyone has any feedback.

2. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I find mine stay warm for at least 10-15 minutes after. I like to reach under and get the eggs right out of under them so not only do I get the warm one just laid, but the ones the girls' were laying on and made warm again. [​IMG]

3. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    I have found them up to 20 minutes after being laid and they are still warm... Not sure how many hens you have but when our girls lay they will lay on top of the other hens eggs and they will be warm then to but nothing like they are when freshly lain. I still get so excited when I go collect eggs. And I love being able to go and lift up a hen and get the eggs underneath her. We have 8 boxes but seems like I get the most eggs from 3 boxes that they like best.

4. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    You could get real scientific about it if you want.
    Since the average body temperature of a chicken is 107F (42C) you could heat an egg you already have up to that temperature and then measure the temp again every 15 minutes after that and mark it on a chart.
    Next time you collect a warm egg, take its temp, check the chart, and you'll know EXACTLY how long ago it had been laid (assuming of course an outside temperature comparable to your inside temperature). [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  5. Daisy8s

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    Measuring the egg temp sounds like a neat science experiment for my boys (ages 9 and 5)!

We have two hens that are laying and three more younger ones to start in a few weeks.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    no, its still a big deal...so cool isn't !?

[​IMG]

7. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Quote:Hot actually [​IMG]
    I sometimes wonder that they don't come out cooked.
    Wouldn't that be a trick - omlet in a shell,ready to eat. Just let em graze on onions and peppers.

8. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    My 2 year lod son likes to eat them fresh out of the nest box when they are still warm. Of course I cook them for him. He see the egg and says "Eat egg! Eat egg!" I take it in the house and fry it.

9. mikeh88

mikeh88 New Egg

Oct 25, 2010
    congrats on the new egg,I know the feeling of the first egg

10. Daisy8s

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    Quote:Thanks! I was glad no one was with me because when I found the egg I immediately went into that voice moms use with their toddlers the first time they go poo in the potty, "Oh, gooooood girrrl, I'm so proud of you!! What a biiiiig girl you are!" My hens gave me that look like they're half-way curious but also a little embarrassed for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by