1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wow, getting small eggs then.....a LARGE egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlickin8, Jul 14, 2008.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Mygirls out did themselves today...The egg on the left is from one of my girls and I placed it next to a a normal size egg. They have laying small eggs the last couple of weeks and suddenly, a large one! I thought it was a gradual change in size. Do young laying hens normally lay eggs this big after beginning to lay? Will they stay large now?

[​IMG]

2. A Carolina Chick

A Carolina Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    NC
    Double yolk???

3. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    No, single yolker .... I hoping for my first double [​IMG]

4. mhoward92

mhoward92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2007
    Mine just reached 5 1/2 months. This is the first week they are laying. I found my first egg 7 days ago. On day three i found two eggs a little bigger then the one your holding. Both of them were double yolkers. so do answer your question of "do they lay this big of eggs this early?" well both mine and yours did so i would say the answer is YES.

5. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    In the 3 weeks that my chickens have been laying, we have had about 4 or 5 eggs that were significantly larger than all the others. They are almost like "JUMBO" eggs. All of mine have been "double yolkers". I think that this is very normal.

6. carwinew

carwinew Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Have had young ones lay tiny yolkless eggs (we call those low-cal eggs) then switch to laying normal size eggs (large/x-large). However, some started out laying normal size and then moved up to jumbo sized eggs. Most of them seem to settle into a regular routine laying the same size all the time but some vary their routine and we end up with superjumbo single yolked ones once in a while. Only an occasional double yolked egg.

7. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    I find that my old hen lays a larger egg if she misses laying the previous day. She did not lay yesterday but laid a 3oz egg today. She still lays about 4-5 eggs per week at nearly 3 years.

8. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Thanks for your responses.....Today I got 2 eggs both medium size. I was hoping for that all impressive LARGE again again...or even better...my first double yolker [​IMG] 3 out of 8 of my hens are laying nowand the size of the eggs are growing. I have heard that Amerucanas and Buffs lay large to x-large eggs all the time??

9. mhoward92

mhoward92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2007
    Depends on the hen really. I mean generally...Yes they tend to lay larger eggs. But that does not apply to all of them.

10. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    My SLW and Australorps gave me about 5 double yolkers last year.

This year, no double yolks from them or my teenagers.

The year before, when I had RIR seniors, they never produced double yolkers.

Never know what those ladies will be up to.

I think you probably had one miss a day and this egg "made up for it".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by