WOW got a surprise tonight!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Mar 11, 2012.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    OK hubby didnt put the girls up like I like it tonight. I wasnt here, anyway i opened the coop and what did my wondering eyes appear well it wasnt santa clause and eight tiny reinfeer BUT a big ole rat. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKK needless to say. i was trying to put my two girls in i was afraid to try to spook the yucky thing afraid he would run up my leg or even touch me. ok long story short i went ahead and put my 2 girls in there. i was afraid to but i thought this probably isnt his first trip in there. so i put them in just thankful he never bothreed me. would have killed myself or at the least hurt myself trying to get away from him or her EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK a rat is a rat this was a beaut. anyhow my question is will it hurt my girls or eat their eggs?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The rat will (can) kill the chickens and eat the eggs too.

Gotta get that rat!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  3. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    OK hubby has a job after he eats.......... what if he doesnt get it tonight????????????????/

4. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Be careful, where there is one rat...there are more.

[​IMG]

5. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    peanut butter on rat traps, put it under the plate in addition to on it.

after the killing cools down for a couple days, they are all gone for now.

6. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama

7. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    ok hubby got his 22 rifle and got rid of the little(big) rascal. now i can rest tonight.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Keep those traps set. I got another coon after catching however many I listed in my siggy.There is always more!

I love snap traps for the rats. Got a few at the discount store for 85 cents each.Just cleaning after a kill is nasty.

9. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    [​IMG] EEEEEEWWWW I'm not looking forward to the first time I find a mouse/rat in my coop. I know it will happen because of where we live, but still. GROSS!!

10. WinklerFarms

WinklerFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Central Minnesota
    Mice aren't really too big of a problem. They won't kill chickens or eat eggs...Rats on the other hand can be a huge problem. I had a problem about a month ago. i was putting out 8 bait block a day. Fianally now they are gone but I still keep bait blocks out to avoid having more hang around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by