Wow ... Grrr... Sigh Rooster.

MzGina

Songster
Oct 19, 2017
Northwest Florida
I ended up with 3 Barred Rock Roosters ( learned my straight run lesson) so hubby is making a pen for each of them... well this morning I went to coop as I heard a lot noise when I walked in the middle sized rooster attacked me twice!! I am so upset. Hubby says he has to go... I agree but I guess I learned another lesson Roosters are not pets???!!! ( I keep a small stick in the coop to help shoo them back when I dont want them to come out, I am ashamed to say I swung that stick at him he was coming at me .. I feel so bad and ashamed for that) Now to decide how he has to go... sigh

I've had 2 people aggressive cockerels. They both took a trip to freezer camp. If you can't bring yourself to do that then Craigslist is a good choice. Give him away for free and don't ask any questions as to what the new owners are going to do with him. Do make sure they know he's people aggressive just in case they plan on keeping him.

I agree with you. The vast majority of roosters can never be pets. I did a lot of research since we really wanted a rooster. Love the crowing and don't have any close neighbors that would be bothered by it. Finally decided on Salmon Faverolles rooster. He's worked out well in that he has never shown aggression. He does not get handled or hand fed ever.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with your problem Barred Rock.

I actually hope for lots of cockerels when I hatch, so we can put them in the freezer. There is nothing wrong with processing an aggressive cockerel. I know it's hard, and not for everyone. My thought is, I put in the time and money to raise that bird, I'll be darned if I'm going to give that good meat away to someone else. I also know that if I process him, he will die as quick and humane a death as possible. He will not be mistreated. He will have had a good life up until that one last moment, and that is so swift that he doesn't know what happened.

But if you can't process him, your next best thing is to give him to someone who would appreciate a fresh chicken dinner.

my rooster is the best pet! you need to talk to talk to them and pet them lots. i'd put some time into it and i bet that he will smarten up

my rooster is the best pet! you need to talk to talk to them and pet them lots. i'd put some time into it and i bet that he will smarten up
I am in my coop and handling the flock 3 to 5 times a day... except for him and the other cockerals they will not let me. I have tried and about a month I gave up .. still bring them treats and handle the others... this just came out of no where. I am an insulin dependent diabetic and cant afford to be clawed by a pet... oh my goodness the thought of the infection. I feel bad and have been very upset but hubby said cant bite the hand that feeds you. I am going to have him handle it. I think he is going to end up at freezer camp...Ugh hopefully the OTHER freezer I dont want to see it. This is stressful! I feel betrayed LOL.

I am in my coop and handling the flock 3 to 5 times a day... except for him and the other cockerals they will not let me. I have tried and about a month I gave up .. still bring them treats and handle the others... this just came out of no where. I am an insulin dependent diabetic and cant afford to be clawed by a pet... oh my goodness the thought of the infection. I feel bad and have been very upset but hubby said cant bite the hand that feeds you. I am going to have him handle it. I think he is going to end up at freezer camp...Ugh hopefully the OTHER freezer I dont want to see it. This is stressful! I feel betrayed LOL.
:hugs Sorry. I have never had luck with "taming and hugging" my roosters. They went bad at a bit over a year old. They're testosterone fueled and therefore unpredictable just like any other male animal.

For future reference... keep them about 5' away from you at all times, shoo them away if they get closer than that for any reason. That should be standard protocol for any rooster. Give them a good kick if they attack. Don't chase, just get him out of your space and stop pressuring him then. You don't want it to spiral into fear based aggression.

I currently have a Svarthona cock that has always been, shall I say, high risk. I had been lax with keeping him away, but I realised that he would become aggressive soon if I didn't do something. I quit letting him around and kept him even farther away than the average bird, not letting him put a toe too close to me, ever. I wanted him running as fast as his chicken legs could take him if I got close. It worked, and he is now a mature and respectful cockbird. I have dropped back my 'personal space' zone to just a few feet with him and he is well-behaved with it.

Last edited:
i'm sure every situation is different but if I had killed my little buddy when his hormones kicked in instead of taking time to love him then I would have lost out big time
IMG_1979.JPG

Back
Top Bottom