Wow! Holy Blastoderm, Batman! Nine, Count 'em, 9!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Dec 31, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Was checking fertility on a Delaware egg today and got quite a surprise. On this yolk, there are NINE blastoderms, 9! Some are quite small, but all seem to be fertile spots (bullseyes). Amazing! The most I've ever seen on one egg has been three. You can't see them all in one photo, but take a look at this, folks. Wish my camera was better, but I think you can see it okay. Imagine...the egg would never hatch a chick, but it's possible that most or all would start developing, then when someone opened it to see why it didn't hatch, that would be quite a sight!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    WOW! I think I can count 7 in that first picture! That is pretty amazing! So I guess we're going with a Yes on the fertility! Is that an Isaac baby?

Laney

3. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Great Scott! Whatever roo did that deserves a bath and a box of mealworms! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Wow

5. speckledhen

Yup, that's one of Isaac's ladies, though not sure which one; I think maybe Georgie.

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:Isaac needs an attaboy pat!! [​IMG]

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    [​IMG] That's one fine rooster!

8. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    Well let's not give Isaac all the credit, I mean Georgie had a part in those blastoderms!!!!

Laney

9. speckledhen

The reason I was checking fertility is that lately, he has not been very enthusiastic in mating the Delaware ladies. They picked on his wattles and kept him bloody so we had to separate him from them. The eggs ceased to be fertile, even though we were putting him in with them every morning. He'd flirt, they'd sometimes squat, but he'd walk away. Finally, we returned them to the main coop with Isaac and the rest of the layers and he's been in there for about three days or so. Apparently, he is over being mad at them for messing up his pretty wattles and comb.

Yep, if I understand it properly, the actual blastodiscs were already there. Then, he fertilized them, turning them into blastoderms. But, I still think Isaac is pretty impressive. [​IMG] Why so many? No idea!

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Woot! WTG Isaac !!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by