Wow!! How long?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TexasJ, Dec 22, 2012.

1. TexasJ

TexasJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    I'm picking up my chickens (pullets) tomorrow! :) I have nesting boxes blocked roost ready food water and one question......I was told to keep the chickens in the coop for about a week? Or till they start using their roost? I have a 6'x4' coop and a 14'x12' fully Enclosed run. So my question is how long should they stay in the coop before I let them out???

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    If it is a fully enclosed run I wouldn't worry about it.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If they aren't free ranging then IMO you can just keep the food in the coop and let them go into the run - they will naturally migrate back to the food.

You could even put a little flashlight out there inside the coop to turn on when the sun starts going down to encourage them to roost in there.

If all else fails you can go into the run, collect them one by one and put them on the roost until they get the idea. Make sure you don't have roosts up in the run though just for this time so they won't be tempted to roost there at night (if you can take them down easily).

For free rangers (if you change your mind and let them free range some), I'd definitely keep them in the coop for a week unless the weather is too hot/summer and they might die in there if it's an oven, or if the coop is too small for them to be prancing around in there all at once all day.

4. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Thanx roost are easily taken down in the run. Do you think they will freak out and start trying to get out the run it is 8' tall and covered 14'x12' wide

5. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I dont think they will. They might be excited to have a new place to explore though.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

x2

Chickens love to explore new places.

7. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Sounds like ill have to try it out worst case ill need to pick them up at night and put them in their coop ill be getting them in the afternoon so they can check out their surroundings before dark 30

8. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Glad to see helpful people here :)

9. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    When I first got mine they didnt go up at first, so for 2 nights I put them up and I went to put them up one night and they were already up. Congrats on getting new chickens.

10. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    That would be nice sounds like you got some smart ones ill post pics when I bring them home for y'all to see

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by