Wow! I can't believe that had happened! And what I did! Update post 28

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Farmerboy16, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    I work at a dairy farm, and been working there since in the first week of August, milking around 90 holstein cows, two times a day, 4 to 5 days a week. I have to be at work at 5 am, and is finished by 8 am, then I go home 13 miles away. Then I come back at 4 pm, and is finished by 7 pm. There as been around 20 calves born since I started the job, but have not seen one born yet! [​IMG]

This evening milking however, I got my chance. A co-worker and I was moving a batch of cows to the milking room, (We milk 14 cows at a time, 6 rounds.) when the co-worker saw a cow by herself on the other side of the barn, and her water had broke, so we moved her to the birthing pen, then continued with the milking. We finished the milking, cleaned the milking room and milking stuff, and closed the gates. Co-worker went home, while I went to check on the cow, hoping that I will see the birthing before going home. [​IMG] I was just watching her, and looked at her rear, and saw 2 small hoofs sticking out. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    While watching her and thinking if I should tell my boss or not, when I heard the shop door shut, and saw my boss going to the house. I called out to him and said that there is a cow in labor, he came over to see. He asked me if I have seen a calf being born, I said no. He said I could stay and watch, but he had to go to a church meeting, and was in a hurry. I asked him what can I do if there is a issue, he said to watch for the nose, and I can pull the calf out with some string wrapped around it's legs if it is stuck. Then he handed me a hanging light to see the birthing better, then he left. It was cold and windy, so I sat in the corner and piled hay around me for warmth. Slowly I moved closer until I was next to the cow.
    I took the pictures from my cell phone, so the pictures are not that great, plus it was dark.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After like 20 minutes of pushing and still just the hoofs were showing, and I looked closer to see if I can find the calf's nose, but I saw a what looked like a tail instead a calf's nose. My mind went ''oh no, a breech.'' I took some strings and looped around the calf's hoofs, and after several slips, I got the strings on, and waited for the next contractions. When the contractions came, she was pushing and I was pulling slowly, I kept with the contractions. She was working hard, and was gasping for breath at each contractions. Each time she pushed, I pulled, finally the calf was half way out, but it kept going back in her, so it was a bit of tug-of-war going on. After one push and a pull from both sides, the calf slipped out very fast. At first I thought that it dead, but it started thrashing, and coughing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think it had taken about 5 or ten minutes of pulling/pushing to get the calf out. It is a healthy bull calf.

Right after the calf was born, the cow got up and started licking him like there is no tomorrow. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW, this was my very first time to help deliver a calf, and I was by myself the entire process. [​IMG] Now I am very tired. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] How exciting! There is just something magical about watching a new life enter the world.

3. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Awesome! What a wonderful experience, that could have not gone so well. You are a hard working person who keeps a clear head, and a valuable employee. I predict you will be successful in life.

Congratulations on a great job!

4. dela1991

dela1991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Delaware
    Good job! I bet that cow is tired too.

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] great job. You now have become a valuable employee! Pat your self on the back!!! proud of you!!!!

6. WillowTreeFarm

WillowTreeFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Toledo
    That is so cool! And so awesome you were there to help... breeches can be bad news! Thanks for the pics and I hope you boss appreciated you helping out!

7. Balfour Girl

Balfour Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Balfour BC Canada
    Sweet!

8. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    If you hadn't have staid that calf might have died and maybe the cow as well!! Good job! maybe be like hey boss, since I can help the cows give birth I feel I need a raise. [​IMG]

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Great job! Wonderful feeling isn't it?

10. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Yeah farmerboy, this is amazing, isn't it???? I will have to come and visit you to snuggle with them calves you know! [​IMG] I'll let you snuggle with my foals too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by