1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wow I got a 85 % hatch rate the first time ! Update/Pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lovemychicks9, May 7, 2009.

1. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Hey guys I have been gone forever and finally I am back here . I had a multitude of family problems last fall and we had to cut the internet but now we have moved to South Carolina and I am back on with all of you. So here is my question - I have never hatched before , I am a first time hatch a holic in the making . I have a Hova 1602 bator that has been extremely dependable with heat at 100 for 19 days and the humidity at 50 also. I have 7 EE eggs in there now at day 19 . I boosted the humidity to 70 yesterday and it has been pretty consistant perhaps dipping to 67 or 68 a couple times but then goes back up , so is this about where it should be now ? Here is the big question now --- i have one egg that pipped about 3 hours ago but has done nothing else no hole in the shell just a small pip so far. It was peeping alot a little while ago but now is pretty silent and I am worried , how long should or does it take before it makes any progress? And if I do not hear any more peeping should I assume the worst ? One more question the bator is in my walk in closet in the bedroom and I have had the light on most of the day so should I leave it on all night for the pip or if I turn it off will it stop any progress or can they hatch in the dark ? Yep that's right I am a newbie and have lots of dumb questions so please be gentle when you answer ! Thanks for all your help ! Trudy [​IMG]

Okay an update for everyone. Out of 7 eggs and a first hatch i got 6 beautiful chicks . They are all eating and peeping and raising a ruckus in the brooder ! I was very lucky as this was my very first hatch in a brand new bator . I can not wait to do it again either and I am so hooked on this hatching thing !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    The one that has peeped is probably just resting, it will take a while for it to hatch. Sometimes mine will go for 10 hours with nothing happening! Then others will hatch with lightning speed!
    As far as the light, I just turn mine on when I am watching them.(alot) But under the hen there is no light, so I don't think it matters. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno!![​IMG]

Good luck!! OH don't open the bator!!!!![​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  3. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I would keep my humidity a tad lower. I prefer a humidity of around 60-65%, don't open the hatch unless it goes up past 70%. So glad you are back here and good luck with your hatch.

4. lovemychicks9

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the replies and it is good to be back . I now have 2 pips and I can hear faint peeping so i guess they are okay still , and no I will not open the bator at all I promise . Wish me luck .

5. lovemychicks9

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Okay so now I have 3 pips going but no one is making any progress so maybe I will get up in the morning ( yeah like I am going to sleep tonight ha ha ) and have a bator full of chicks !

6. mommahento5

mommahento5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    South East Indiana
    I am also a newbie so I was re-reading my chicken books tonight on incubating and hatching eggs and according to them, after a pip it could take anywhere from 3-8 hours for the chick to zip. So I would give it more time before helping.

Good luck on getting rest tonight![​IMG]

I am on day 19 and can't wait!!

7. juliachick

juliachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    (Northeastern PA)
    I am on day 19 of my second hatch (first one had 3 of 6 hatch) and have 7 black jersey giant eggs in the bator. One pipped probably 4-5 hrs ago and only rocking back and forth every now and then. I have to go to bed...got no sleep last night. I hope to wake up to lots of little chickies!!! Good luck w/your hatch...we'll have to give updates in the morning:)

Jen

8. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    The chicks should be just fine. It's tiring work getting through that shell. I like to keep my incubators dark unless I am looking at them. It keeps the chicks that hatched from moving around too much and knocking other eggs around. Good Luck

9. lovemychicks9

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Okay so now with almost no sleep last night I got up to 2 live chicks and 4 more pips out of 5 eggs left to hatch !!! I had to help one a bit but they both look good now and are making lots of noise too! Within the next couple hours I should have one more out I see him zipping now and see his beak peeking out ! Wish me luck! Come on fuzzy butts !

Updated to add -- Okay now I have 3 live chicks hatched and 2 more eggs are starting to zip. Yeah !!!

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  10. lovin'mychicks

lovin'mychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Congrats!! There is nothing like waking up to a bator full! With the next hatch it will be easier to be patient! On my last hatch, I left home and returned home 4 hrs later to 27 quail and 8 chicks!!! How exciting![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by