Wow, I got a surprise last night

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pipermark, Mar 3, 2009.

1. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Several weeks ago I had to move several of my cockerels away from the hens (to many , to few hens).

I had 7 of them in a pen together. This weekend I remove 2 of them to bring to someone for trade.

The only thing I can think of is this caused a rift in the established order of things.

Last night I came home to a mess. The pictures below are of the worst 2. I will have to bath them this weekend. Goliath and , the one that was the dominate cockerel of the pen, are still trying to get at each other through fencing. WOW!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my! What a mess they made of eachother. Hopefully, they will settle down. Spring hormones? [​IMG]

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's what I'm thinking. [​IMG]

4. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    wow they really tore eacherother up huh? poor birds.. :[

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My two BR roos, who are brothers, look way worse than yours, Mark. Parts of the wattles are even gone and the combs are a mess of scabs and dried blood. They fight, then the hens pick on the wounds and keep them going. My poor handsome boys are completely beat up. And they share almost 40 hens!

6. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    I had a rooster who, let's just say that his comb was "naturally" dubbed over his life time.

7. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I HAD 2 roos a leghorn and a buff cochin. Well the buff cochin KILLED the leghorn in Dec! Yeah Weird! Well good luck! And i would get them a way from eachother right now!

Chichen Girl

8. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    When I went to shut up the coop the other night, my BO HEN was all bloody. When I cleaned her up, she looked just like your boys. Her comb was all chewed up. Today she was sitting on the floor of the coop, and she is now on a lower roost than usual. She's definitely been taken down a notch (I suspect by the Blue Andalusian, Queen of the Roost.) HOrmones, indeed. She's my best layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by