Wow, I have southern chicks!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Aschenfire, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    I underestimated how much my young chicks (2 weeks old or around there) would eat in a week and I got a tiny 1 pound bag of chick starter from the local feed store. WELL...needless to say, the little piggies ran out yesterday and I can't get to the place to buy more due to my work schedule and the fact that they are closed on Sunday, till Monday. I did some research and reading on forum threads here, and got them some oatmeal (they eat it but the smaller babies seem to have some trouble with it, so I *squooshed* it with the back of a spoon till it was the texture of the chick starter. But today I grabbed a box of grits at the store... O.O They are going wild for them! Of course, I have given them a bit of grit sprinkled on top, and they'll go back to chick starter Monday (perhaps with a side of grits once in a while :D)

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Don't forget to give them some eggs! Either hardboil and chop fine, or scramble with as little oil as possible. Eggs are what they had for 21 days while they developed, so it's good for them!

3. Chesca

Chesca Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Wichita
    how many chicks do you have?

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Wow, me and the chickens have something in common. I go wild for grits too. We use the yellow grits with fresh butter. Yum yum.

5. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    I have six babies right now, going to pick up two more silkies from a local breeder and *may* add two more standard pullets, for a total of ten. That is my limit. Really. I must resist Chicken Math!

And I love grits too! The chicks and I had scrambled eggs and grits for breakfast *lol*!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by