Wow... I love freebies!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tanichca, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    So, planning on getting coop supplies for the new bantam castle. Estimated costs were:
    Hardware cloth: $17
    2x4s: $20-40

Then, a few strokes of luck!

Never-used hardware cloth, at a neighbors house (he had been foreclosed on and left all his fancy junk just lying around for almost a year, and since he never came back to claim it, the neighbors just took what they've needed. We also got a feed trough and some tools!)

Another Neighbor finished building her dream house and has lots of good wood that she will give to us.

And, as a bonus, my grandpa has a pile of old license plates, which I am going to use as shingles to keep the rain out. [​IMG]

And here I was expecting to blow all of my savings on this project.

2. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    Good for you! I used all recycled items for my coop and run...very satisfying.

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Nice! Neat idea on the license plate shingles, I bet that will look really cute.

4. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Make sure to post pics when your done especially the lisence plate roof. I bet it will be neat.

5. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    I like the idea of using old license plates for roofing. Wish I would have thought of that.

6. thesunthemoon89

thesunthemoon89 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    Great Lakes State
    Lucky you! I hope that we can find a lot of our building materials second-hand or recycled or free!

7. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Quote:Second that... this is going to be a good looking coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by