WOW IS IT COLD IN Orange COUNTY NY! AM I keeping my chickens safe?

HudsonValleyGirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Hi fellow chicken lovers,

I live in Orange County NY and it was in the teens last night. I put tarps around the doors of my coop, added some fresh bedding and left them for the night. I have been doing this for the whole week. In the morning I give them some warm water, their feed, and some hot oatmeal with cracked corn in it.

Other than adding some straw or hay, is what I am doing correct?, do I need to do more for them?

I also do a total cleaning of their coop every saturday morning, should I be doing that?

Thanks for your assisstance,
Janice

Quote:
mm Janice-can you post a photo of your set up? that way we can tell you right off what needs to be changed and or fixed for the well being of your babies?? Hard to picture your set-up:-(

Quote:
I live in Orange COunty NY too!! Mine survived with bedding on the floor, cooked pumpkin in the m orning and they seem to be OK - they survived last year also. I just take their water out at night so it doesn't freeze and put it back in the morning after I clean it. I lost more to heat over the summer than to cold in the winter

Nothing like frozen poop on a Saturdya monring, though

I have pictures of my coop but no pictures of tarps on it.

Basicallyy I have 3 tarps on the coop, on roof, and around the two doors of the coop (Nesting boxes and the clean out door).
Here is my coop inside and out.

img]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/60094_img_1957.jpg[/img]
There is a tarp over this with a bungie cord,

60094_img_1959.jpg

img]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/60094_img_1958.jpg[/img]

60094_img_1954.jpg

cute!! as long as you have tarps tight around it to prevent drafts and such lots bedding should help alot with the cold-just make sure you leave a space high up opened for ventilation not near ground-but not too big..they should be fine-

Well these pics are from the spring, now we have some stains that could not be scrub off but I clean it out every Saturday morning.

Yes, pictures would help. When you mention tarping the door, are you talking about the run?? Do you have a solid/wood shelter part of your coop? Extra bedding is great - pile it up! I do a quick, light cleaning daily, but I use dropping boards...scraping daily prevents poop from freezing to them. Warm food is a nice treat for the birds. You can also give them a bit of scratch or other yummy treat right before roosting time, to give their bodies something extra to burn through the cold nights.
smile.png

ETA: Okay...pictures posted while I was distracted by DH...lol. That looks fine...is the pop door closed at night? Or is that what you were talking about tarping? I agree with sonew's comments.

Last edited:
Quote:
Im on my way down to do the same ritual:) Except I have to swap out 10 waterers everyday sometimes 2x a day:-( I just ordered a few more electric base heaters so that should help with all the work-I hope! good luck and if you need any help through winter you know where we are:-0

Back
Top Bottom