Wow... it's A whacky winter for Call ducks? or...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by call ducks, Jan 4, 2011.

1. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Is any other peoples call duck's laying yet? I can't believe it i have one duck that is laying :O 3 eggs so far one was bad, but there are 2 call duck eggs. I have never had a call duck lay before Middle of April. These were this years hatch, well all but one hen but wow...
    So is this a fluke to my hen or are some other call ducks laying yet?

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Mine are not laying, but I just got an email from a guy out here in CA who's just started laying quite a bit.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine are not laying either, though they did spend the entire snow storm IN the pond.

4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I only have one call hen and she's not laying. But strangely, my two guinea hens are laying like mad after a break of a few months. [​IMG]

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    My Daisy is already incubating hers. I have mine in the same building as my racing pigeon breeding cages, which has increased light. If not for that, then she probably would be doing nothing.

6. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:ahh, see mine have no increased lighting

7. callduck2010

callduck2010 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes, several of mine have been laying ..they started on 12/23! I have quite a few in the incubator..ALL are fertile!(keeping my fingers crossed!)

8. sky.hawk51

sky.hawk51 New Egg

Nov 8, 2009
    Berks Co. PA.
    My wifes two calls Romeo and Juliet, they were ducklings this spring. now Juliet has been laying for about 1 1/2 months now. At first we would take the egg and she would not go back to that spot to lay again, made for some fun searches of the coop. Now we leave one egg in the nest and remove the day old egg. Seems to be working for now. Not sure when she is going to get serious and stay on the nest. But when she does we will slip some of the eggs back in.

9. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    And here I thought mine were the only ones doing it this time of year..

Ive been getting about 3 eggs a day.. give or take a day or so, from my 3 girls.. 2 of them I know arent fertile anymore since I seperated them from the boys, but the third girl has been breeding like crazy for a while now.. Every time I put fresh water in the pool the boys tag team her (poor thing). I sent a dozen eggs to Georgia, traded another 10 eggs for some silkie chicks and have a few in the incubator...Dont know if there fertile or not.. I should know pretty soon though..

10. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Mine have been laying like crazy, too. They also did this last year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by