1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wow Look what we found!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chicken_angler, Jul 31, 2008.

1. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Yesterday at 5:00p.m. we saw a old chipper shredder out at the road. It didnt have any sign on it so we went up to the guys house and asked him if it was for free? He said yes and he said he was going to bring out a pushmower too! We loaded the shredder up and the guy brought out the mower and some steel for us to scrap. We didnt even know the guy and he told us we could scrap it. Well we already have a big pile of metal that is going to the scrapyard Saturday so know we have lots! Let me know if you want to see pics of it!

My question is can we get some pine trees and chip them up to make our own pine bedding? Has anyone done this before and how do we keep it fresh? Thanks!

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The baled pine shavings are just that. Pine shavings not wood chips. Plus the moisture content is much lower than what you would chip

3. jhill1440

jhill1440 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    Central Texas
    That is a great find. I am soooooo jealous. You could start chipping stuff and compost it to make great soil or chip a little bigger and make mulch for your garden beds to keep the weeds down and water in.

peace
    joshua

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    cool beans what a find

5. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I know that you cant use many woods for chickens so we were gonna use pine when we chip it. We dont need any mulch cause we got 3 loads of it. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by