1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

wow, muscovy mothers can be pretty mean!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by josh_bigler, Aug 4, 2008.

1. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    howdy, about a week ago my muscovy hens hatched out 19 beautiful little ducklings, i cannot find ANYONE in my area wanting to buy them so i guess im going to build a Duck coop just for them lol, has anyone else been attacted by muscovy's when they have youngn's lol?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    Oh too cute, I have 4 eggs in the bator due to hatch thurs. I hope. How far in Missouri are you? I want muscovies:D hope these little buggers hatch

3. josh_bigler

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    i live in central missouri, and boy is it hot, good luck on your eggs that you are trying to hatch! i just wish there was people out here closer who wanted some lol, its fun watching them run around and swim in the pond!

4. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Yeah, I've had bruises up and down my arms, trying to help the Mommas out!(And candling them before hatch!)

You better build a huge coop, 19+2 momma duck 21 ducks make a lot of poop, and mess, I would know, we had 21, then 11 hatch, lost 3, sold 7, so we had so we had 22 ducklings and 3 adults in our pens!! We just butchered the last few.
    The meat is very tasty, tastes a lot like steak, it is very lean, leaner then turkey.
    I've seen it on the internet for 32.00 a pound!
    We keep the 3 adults as pets. I have one sitting on 15 more eggs, someone is supposed to buy a few. If not we will have 15 more for the freezer. I have to try really hard not to get attached, they are so cute, but this is why we decided to raise our own food. It's still hard though.
    Brenda

5. josh_bigler

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    wow, i've heard that they taste very good, but i've never tried them, i just got done building a 8x24 coop, but thats for more chickens lol, im thinking about building another 8x16 for them, i do plan on getting rid of them, but i am thinking about gettin more various breeds of ducks and splitting the coop up for them, i have a blue crested hen that has just started laying but im not sure, can a muscovy drake breed with another breed of duck? i sure hope so,

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:yes they can but the resulting offspring won't be able to reproduce (yet the hens will lay eggs just not fertile eggs).

^^ I learned that on this forum he he. [​IMG]

7. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I love muscovyys their adorableeeee, our neighbor has some they like diving in the water its fun watching. The goat LuLu likes trying to jump on them for some reason their scared of her.

8. josh_bigler

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    Quote:yes they can but the resulting offspring won't be able to reproduce (yet the hens will lay eggs just not fertile eggs).

^^ I learned that on this forum he he. [​IMG]

wow now that is pretty cool, now i just hope the eggs she's laying is fertile, i would like to see what they look like!!

9. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    You have to love those Muscovies. One thing you are forgetting on your coop size is "Muscovy math" It goes something like this.

1 hen sitting on 20 eggs will hatch about 22 ducklings
    growing out the 22 ducklings you will end up with about 30 ducklings
    So..... now you have 31 ducks, say a 50/50 mix equals 16 hens
    16 hens times 20 eggs etc etc etc etc lol

did I say they were prolific???

Steve in NC

10. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    ould you ship some to Hannibal Missouri???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by