Wow, my chicks are tough!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Maryallison, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    SO we were out hanging out by the chickens yesterday when I noticed the white frizzled rooster was all excited and had something...[​IMG] I got closer and OMG............. He had a snake!!!! [​IMG] And all the other chickens wanted it from him. He really beat that snake up and by the time I got my DH in the coop to get it the snake was about dead. My chicks are just 3 months old and wow.... they are tough! [​IMG]

2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    that is tough. !!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Kieyamama

Kieyamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    NorCal
    They took care of business! haha-nice work chickies![​IMG]

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    That roo sounds like a keeper--very brave at such a young age![​IMG]

5. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

Quote:AGREE ~ [​IMG]

6. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Isn't it funny what they do to snakes!! Pretty surprising from a chicken, huh?? Were they proud of themselves afterward? [​IMG]

7. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Oh yeah they were so proud! [​IMG] Well, until I had daddy take it away!! [​IMG]

8. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    You mean you didn't let them eat it? [​IMG] Cudos to your brave little roo!!!! [​IMG]
    My BR who is head of the flock caught herself a mouse right after I got the girls... She beat it till it wasn't moving then ran around the corner and ate it while the rest of the girls were distracted with the treat I had given them(Chicken fetuccini)

9. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Last year, when my new girls were about 4 months old, I went outside and they had surrounded a small snake (~14") in the garden. They were all on their toes, wings out, and ready to divvy the poor little guy up. Luckily for him, I had just brought them a treat and they were more interested in the bread than the snake. I checked after the bread was gone and he had flown the coop (slithered out of the garden).

10. Tonopah Pati

Tonopah Pati Rest in Peace 1938-2011

Mar 24, 2009
    Tonopah, Arizona
    Luckey for me my girls have ben eating the smaller snakes. They met their match yesterday with a large Rattle snake, They all ran away from that one. They are pretty snake smart.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by