wow!!! NOw WHAT

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kelliepulido, Nov 22, 2008.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I hear little chirps under my broody this am.I am so excited but now how does she get the babies down and how long before I should put them down?I put a heat lamp out last nite so the coop area was warmer.It was 18degrees out lasst nite.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I assume by 'get them down' you mean that the nest is elevated? You can take a board and fix it like a ladder so the babies can use it to go in or out. If the nest is more than a few feet off the ground though, it might be a good idea to move mama and babies to an enclosure on the floor/ground.

3. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    How long should I wait to move them? I have 2babies now there were 3 eggs.Do you think I should leave them oout in the coop?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would wait till the morning. She won't try taking them out of the nest until at least then. You can watch her and see when she is coming out, then move them all then.

5. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Ok I will move them down into a dog crate with the lamp on them in the coop.Leave Mama in there with them with the crate door close for a week or so until she gets used to taking care of them.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Don't lock her in. In a day or two she will be ready to get out and move around WITH those chicks.

Let her brood them.

Let her decide when she takes them out.

She will care for them and teach them what they need to know when they need to know it.

If you lock her in for a week she will get antsy and stressed. She will want to get away from the chicks for a few minutes at a time just like any other animal leaves their babies.

Good luck with your chicks.

7. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Ok so tomorrow I should lift her out and the babies and put them down in the crate?I am afraid she might try and go back up to the nesst and sit.But everybody thanks for the help and i will leave the door open.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Fix her a nest and move her and the babies. Since she can't get the babies back up there she will stay down with them.

9. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Ok thanks!! I have another sitting due around wed.she also has 3 eggs.Almost all of my pullets are broody!!! Bbut that Mama with the little itty bitty babies sticking their little heads out from her are sooo darn cute.They are no bigger than maybe a big hickory nut.All black with white strip on their heads.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by