1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wow! Ordered straight run and got more pullets than roos!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenToes, Jul 31, 2008.

1. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Although it always looked like I had quite a few pullets, today was the first time I accurately counted my pullets and roos. (Yeah, ok, they're like 16 weeks old and I finally got around to counting them. Usually they never sit still long enough!) I ended up with 18 pullets and 13 roos. I thought it would be the other way around! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Count you blessings!!!
    I ordered 50 straight run consisting of 25 Rhode Island Reds and 25 Easter Eggers about 10 years ago and ended up with 39 ROOSTERS!!
    I really got tired of chicken soup, dumplings, salad etc that year!!! When they were young I never thougt they were big enough to waste my time butchering them for fryers.
    Needless to say I never did that again!

3. ChickenToes

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    39 roosters!!! [​IMG]

You're right, I should count my blessings! If everything goes according to plan (yeah right) we'll be butchering most of our roos tomorrow, and probably a few pullets. I sort of hate to butcher the pullets, but I don't need 18 laying hens!

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I got a small st run of d'uccles and got 2 roos and 5 pullets! I was so excited...finally something I can live with! And both roos are just sweet hearts!

5. ChickenToes

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Hangin - Good for you! I always order straight run but I am always so nervous that I'll end up with way too many roos.

6. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    Wow! Where did you get them from? I've got some I've ordered from Ideal [​IMG]

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I ordered my straight run from Murray McMurray. I thought I might get a 50/50 mix but not 78% roosters. I actually wanted about 20 roos for the freezer for the winter to make soups/broths and stuff but 39 was just too many for two people.

I have been a customer of Murray McMurray since 1978 so I called and expressed my displeasure with the number of roos I got. Remember this happened to me about 10 years ago.

The lady was very nice to me and she basically said that the Rhode Island Reds and Easter Eggers were very popular and that most people order just pullets so those orders are filled first so that was the reason I go so many roos. She did give me a $10 or $15 credit towards my next purchase.

Like I said I just pay extra now and get what I really want. I must say though their sexers for the past few years are not as good as they use to be. I ordered 25 pullets this spring and three turned out to be roos. They offer a 90% sexed guarantee so I am not too sure they don't just give you the three roosters because no one wants them. I have had this same issue the past three years.

The three roos turned out to be 2 RIR's and 1 Easter Egger, so they will make nice pots of chicken n dumplings on a cold winters day.

8. ChickenToes

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I ordered mine from Murray McMurray. I was expecting a 50/50 mix too, but this was a surprise! I agree with you though, scooter147, I think I'm going to start paying more for pullets.

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I ordered straight run from Estes hatchery. I ordered 18 Welsummers, got 19 and only 6 roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by