1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WOW,Put thermometer hygrometer Under broody, NOT What I WAS EXPECTING!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens44, Jan 20, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Its day 20, and for fun I put my Hygrometer Thermometer under her, And left it under her for 5-10 mins, and it said 87.8 degrees humidity was 33%. Is that ok. I mean I did the water test today all the eggs where moving. Any suggestions Im worried now.

2. IdealisticRoo

IdealisticRoo Chicken Tender

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    One of my favorite sayings "worrying is kind of like chewing on a rock, it gives you something to do, but it's not really good for you!"

I can't convince any of my hens to go broody, so I worry about incubators instead!

I hope some hatch for you (and your hen).

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Unless you have a high accuracy instrument, I wouldn't necessarily put much stock in the readings. A broody does what she does very well, no need to sorry. You actually took the eggs out from under her and put them in water? If they're not late, I'd leave them alone and let her do her thing.

4. colowyo0809

colowyo0809 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Dacono, CO
    We didn't have one of those fancy devices, but our bantam MFC hatched out three chicks in November, and it wasn't the warmest at the time, so I'd say they are just fine [​IMG]

5. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Yeah, I guess you guys are right, I am a worry wort. And getting antsy.

6. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Broodys do not use air to incubate eggs... They use contact, actual skin contact. That's why they pluck all their feathers out. They do this not only to make the nests, but also for skin contact. The Contact incubator works the clostest to a broody. The normal body temp of a chicken is 102-103F.. purfect incubators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by